whelan.... selling warriors all that bad??

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
silver surfer

Re: whelan.... selling war...

Post by silver surfer »

MrsLam posted:
silver surfer posted:

I remember that incident too, since then, in our house he has always been known affecionately as " The Flying Pig". It's one of those things you never forget. :o

Haha SilverSurfer, I bet you wouldn't have said that nickname to his face though!

Too true Mrs. Lam. I think it would have been "Mr. Skerrett" or "Sir". :D
Ron

Post by Ron »

x Wigan Warrior x posted:
Doveoverdave posted:
I'd like a new name always disliked "Warriors" for some reason.

Seemed to be just attached as the simplest form of alliteration without any thought about the marketing of the "new" SL club. I some how thought the name was pinched from Auckland. Who can justifiably call themselves Warriors because of their heritage.

Fans scoffed at "Bulls" and particularly at Leeds with "Rhino", but these clubs did fantastic marketing with their names and emblems (not to forget mascots) always at the fore front.

Even at little Leigh "Centurions" appeared to have had a concerted effort to have a decent tag on. Not quite worked at Vikings yet, but I prefer that to Warriors.

Just a thought. I can't come up with an original name maybe a thesarus would help. :) Anyone any ideas on the subject or are you happy with the Warrior tag. (Everyone still calls us Wigan) :)
Wigan RLFC used to be called the Wasps many many moons ago !!!

I think that would have been better..... a little dig into the past would have helped them ! :o
I don't remember the rugby team being named Wasps, but the Wigan swimming club is/was called Wasps! Do we still have a swimming club?
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Funny coloured Wasps, I thought generally a team needed a black and yellow jersey to be called Wasps? We're more like strawberry humbugs. Wigan Strawberry Humbugs?
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

robjoenz posted:
Funny coloured Wasps, I thought generally a team needed a black and yellow jersey to be called Wasps? We're more like strawberry humbugs. Wigan Strawberry Humbugs?
We could keep the alliteration and be the Wigan Waspberry Wipples
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

GeoffN posted:
...and get Jonathan Woss to do the announcing at the JJB (or where ever we get thrown out to :D)
x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

i read it on a site...i am taking about the old, old days...back when we were in Northern rugby league
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
pedro

Post by pedro »

was that when Rugby was 1 i mean kick and clap?
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

robjoenz posted:
GeoffN posted:
...and get Jonathan Woss to do the announcing at the JJB (or where ever we get thrown out to :D)
Hope it's not the Weebock! Opponent's fans would be peeing themselves...