Millward Bookies Favourite for Warriors

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
oxon warrior

Re: Millward Bookies Favou...

Post by oxon warrior »

I dont dispute that. Any other coach with the same record would surely be welcomed by everybody. However what could he do to improve the current team. If he came and success wasnt immediate there would be even more moaning about the coach that there is now!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

oxon warrior posted:
I dont dispute that. Any other coach with the same record would surely be welcomed by everybody. However what could he do to improve the current team. If he came and success wasnt immediate there would be even more moaning about the coach that there is now!
I've been making exactly that point for ages...all the coaches we've had over the past 10 years or so came with high hopes, and in many cases with good previous records (Monie, Raper, Endicott...) but none succeded. A coach can only work with the players he has available, and Denis simply has not had enough of his first team squad available.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

pandasdad posted:
Come on Silver Surfer, you'll only confuse many of our frequent posters if you insist on talking about facts!

Please make sure that future posts contain doom, gloom, innuendo, speculation and rumour. Otherwise this message board could become a white elephant! :D
We'd have to call it Scul-thorpe :)
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN posted:
oxon warrior posted:
I've been making exactly that point for ages...all the coaches we've had over the past 10 years or so came with high hopes, and in many cases with good previous records (Monie, Raper, Endicott...) but none succeded. A coach can only work with the players he has available, and Denis simply has not had enough of his first team squad available.
That may be so but the point I have been making for ages is that Betts isn't getting the best out what he HAS got available.

Could Millward do better? He did OK at Leigh but Mario seems to think not. I don't know one way or the other but if things continue as they are then I think we will have a new coach in the not too distant future be it Millward or someone else.

Dave
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

GeoffN posted:
oxon warrior posted:
Monies reputation prior to his 2nd spell was at Wigan. He achieved nothing once he left after his first spell as far as I recall.

Raper's reputation is what exactly - keepinig Cas afloat?

Endicott has never done anything at all with any club anywhere.

Point is we once invested in quality as regards the coaching role. Now we toss a coin and hope for the best.
West, Goodway, Dorahay, Hughes,Endicott, Raper, Monie(2nd spell grasping at straws) Gregory, Betts and probably some no marks that I missed.

robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

oxon warrior posted:
If he did come to JJB would it be worth risking upseting a large section of the crowd. Good record that he had a the other lot but it wasnt as if he took over a struggling team
We might put a few fans off from coming back, but Saints already have. We may attract their Millward lovers and they can our turnaways in their Millward free environment!

One thing I was wondering though... if Saints appoint a new coach and then Millward wins his battle for compensation, how will they afford it? Also will this be on the salary cap or not?
heydude

Post by heydude »

Doveoverdave posted:

Raper's reputation is what exactly - keepinig Cas afloat?
only thing is raper just been given a two year contract with cronulla for turning the team around and making them into serious title contenders this season.
don't eat yellow snow
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

50% of the reason we hate him is because hes saints coach and hes a good coach, the other 50% is the fact hes an arrogant so and so! Fans go to watch the rugby team not the rugby coach and if they are fickle enough not to go because of who the coach is do we really need them?

Rob, i doubt millward will win his battle just because of the nature of the case, but if he does it will certainly be interesting to see what happens.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
silver surfer

Post by silver surfer »

mrs_carney posted:
50% of the reason we hate him is because hes saints coach and hes a good coach, the other 50% is the fact hes an arrogant so and so! Fans go to watch the rugby team not the rugby coach and if they are fickle enough not to go because of who the coach is do we really need them?

Rob, i doubt millward will win his battle just because of the nature of the case, but if he does it will certainly be interesting to see what happens.
Just heard on GMR he has lost his appeal with Saints, he is on The Rugby League Hour tonight
NTA1

Post by NTA1 »

Fraggle posted:
Incidentally - if Moaning Milly's the bookies favourite to be our next coach, does anyone know which club Long and Gleeson have bet on for him to go to next? :lol:
Fraggle, It seems your whit went over everyones head!!!!!! I got the joke though