Sam Tomkins

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Sam Tomkins

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Dont want this to sound like im jumping on the bandwagon of get at Wane threads but doesnt anyone else worry that Sam Tomkins will completely fail on his return?

If we look at the facts;

we know Wane will not change, that is completely evident he is stubborn and pig headed.

Currently ask yourself how many times you have seen the full back, i.e Bowen or Hampshire of late, be actually part of an attacking move.

The way we play is not deep enough to involve the full back our usual tactic seems to be half back short to 2nd row, then centre/wing depending on when the move gets shut down.

Tomkins thrives in a deep line of attack where he can spot gaps or use his ridiculous step once a defender has come out the line, in our current attack we are too close to the line for this.

If we play like we play now you could put greg inglis at full back and he'd make little to know impact because how can he if he never gets the ball?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
The booze hound

Re: Sam Tomkins

Post by The booze hound »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Dont want this to sound like im jumping on the bandwagon of get at Wane threads but doesnt anyone else worry that Sam Tomkins will completely fail on his return?

If we look at the facts;

we know Wane will not change, that is completely evident he is stubborn and pig headed.

Currently ask yourself how many times you have seen the full back, i.e Bowen or Hampshire of late, be actually part of an attacking move.

The way we play is not deep enough to involve the full back our usual tactic seems to be half back short to 2nd row, then centre/wing depending on when the move gets shut down.

Tomkins thrives in a deep line of attack where he can spot gaps or use his ridiculous step once a defender has come out the line, in our current attack we are too close to the line for this.

If we play like we play now you could put greg inglis at full back and he'd make little to know impact because how can he if he never gets the ball?
Wane is so obsessed with Sam that I go as far as saying that Sam will be dictating the lines/moves/plays that we run and Wane will drooling over his input. But as I see it that's not a bad thing because Wane has become a stagnant pond and we need running water ideas.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

SW may not be here?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Dont want this to sound like im jumping on the bandwagon of get at Wane threads but doesnt anyone else worry that Sam Tomkins will completely fail on his return?

If we look at the facts;

Hampshire has 6 try assists and Bowen 5, so that's 11 from the fullback position. It's more than any other team.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

No straw damn us wrote:

If we look at the facts;

Hampshire has 6 try assists and Bowen 5, so that's 11 from the fullback position. It's more than any other team.
That stat only works as a percentage in my eyes.
markill

Post by markill »

I think where there has been a problem in attack from fullback this year is a lack of willingness to play the ball close to the line. Bowen and latterly Hampshire after he lost his confidence have both been taking on and passing it on to the centre far too quickly and easy to read, they stopped being running threats. Sometimes they've got it right, I think Sam will take the line on a little more making himself more threatening - our fullbacks have still had plenty of opportunities to get involved but not done enough. Sam will do more, maybe do too much more than not enough, and we'll all start calling him greedy then, because we're never happy :wink:
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Phil Gould summed up why Waneball RL is poor at the highest level during the first state of origin match this week.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I didn't see it, but why did he comment?

Have they been playing WaneBall in the NRL at Origin level?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Good post MK.I agree 100% about our fullbacks,giving the ball too early to the centres.Maybe it's lazy or tactics,who knows.I still think rocky should play there before Bowen.He tries to draw the man before passing.Bowen just gets rid asap.
One worrying thing, for me,was that Sam always had a good running game for us(in the fullback position).In his last season here,he seemed to play more as a passer than a runner.Im sure this proves that it is down to tactics.If so maybe we need a change of personnel and/ or tactics concerning this position.
I can't seem to remember our fullbacks being put through a gap much this season
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Mike wrote:I didn't see it, but why did he comment?

Have they been playing WaneBall in the NRL at Origin level?
Are you referring to the lack of leaders comment,or the no go forward comment?
I respect golds comments and agreed whole heartedly.They lost the game with very poor decision making imho
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE