Squad versus Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
East Stand Faithful

Squad versus Leeds

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Shaun Wane has today named his 19-man squad for the Magic Weekend game with Leeds Rhinos.

Wigan face the table topping Rhinos in the main game on Saturday evening when a crowd of over 40,000 is expected to cram into Newcastle United's St James' Park to see the blockbuster tie.

The Warriors will be looking to bounce back from defeat in France to Catalans and come up against a Leeds team who are three points clear at the top of the table.

Wane makes just one change to his squad with Connor Farrell, fit again after injury, coming in for Rhodri Lloyd.

Speaking ahead of the game, Wane said: "I'm really glad we're playing the best team in the comp. They're always great games between us and Leeds, I've every respect for them. They're a great team with some great players.

"They've got some really good individuals, two of the best centres in the comp, their back five players are really strong. They're playing with a bit more structure now and are very tough to beat."

Wane is keen for his players to find the form that saw them win five in a row, including three games where they ‘nilled' the opposition.

The Warriors coach knows his team have a job on their hands against a strong Leeds outfit:

"They're the form team in the competition so we need to be a lot better, we need to play a lot better and defend like we did against Brisbane and attack like we attacked against Warrington.We'll trouble Leeds but we need to stay with them, they play with a high intensity, they defend with some vigour. There's no doubt about it, they're a tough team to beat but we did it last year with a weak team at the Etihad so it's a good competition for us.

"We've still no Tony Clubb, Dom Manfredi, Anthony Gelling, Iain Thornley or Liam Farrell so we've got some big players missing but that's a good opportunity for everybody to step up and that will make the win, if we can get it, more enjoyable."

Wigan Warriors 19-Man Squad

John Bateman, Matty Bowen, Joe Burgess, Josh Charnley, Dom Crosby, Connor Farrell, Ben Flower, Ryan Hampshire, Michael McIlorum, Lee Mossop, Sean O'Loughlin, Larne Patrick, Sam Powell, Dan Sarginson, Matty Smith, Ryan Sutton, Taulima Tautai, Joel Tomkins and George Williams.

Referee - Phil Bentham

Read more at http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... r5r7Bsj.99

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... WfdlDx8.99
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
morley pie eater

Re: Squad versus Leeds

Post by morley pie eater »

Sounds like a realistic, though upbeat assessment of our chances to me: "they're good and we need to be at our best, in attack and defence, to beat them but we're up for it."

Maybe it would suit some people if he said "they're good, we're crap and we've no chance - you may as well stay away and enjoy discussing who you want as the new coach"?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

morley pie eater wrote:Sounds like a realistic, though upbeat assessment of our chances to me: "they're good and we need to be at our best, in attack and defence, to beat them but we're up for it."

Maybe it would suit some people if he said "they're good, we're crap and we've no chance - you may as well stay away and enjoy discussing who you want as the new coach"?
Will you be there MPE? I will not. Arranged concert tickets for my wife A LONG TIME AGO. Not cheap but you know the artist will deliver and my wife will be incredibly happy.

The press release are just guff or do you believe them?
Warrior20

Post by Warrior20 »

morley pie eater wrote:Sounds like a realistic, though upbeat assessment of our chances to me: "they're good and we need to be at our best, in attack and defence, to beat them but we're up for it."

No matter what Wane says or does, some people will never be happy. We could go a full season unbeaten and certain people would still find a problem.
sc74

Post by sc74 »

Warrior20 wrote:

No matter what Wane says or does, some people will never be happy. We could go a full season unbeaten and certain people would still find a problem.
Could we?
We'd have to get all the Yorkshire games moved to the DW, for starters.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

Sw said the same or similar before the Catalan game iirc
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

He didn't say the same thing prior to playing Catalans.
His comments included remarks about their away form when they were at home. The week before he made some disparaging remark about HKR which Campese mentioned after the game.

Someone at the club must have had a word.
What he said this week was spot on. Pressy's should be kept boring IMO. Talk for 10-20 minutes but say nothing.
This week is more like the press conf script he should be sticking to.

Let's hope they've given him some home truths about far more than press conferances too.

Let's hope this change of events off the field can preclude a change of fortunes on it when wer're away from home.

gruffy

Post by gruffy »

Agreed press conferences should be fairly dull build the other team up a degree and nothing more,say nothing nasty and generally talk about the weather as perhaps the most controversial subject.

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:

Will you be there MPE? I will not. Arranged concert tickets for my wife A LONG TIME AGO. Not cheap but you know the artist will deliver and my wife will be incredibly happy.

The press release are just guff or do you believe them?
What, a concert for the Wife comes before attending the Magic weekend?

Now we know who wears the pants in your house.

Only Joking, cpwigan!