Forwards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Forwards

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Do we need more size in our pack or do we need to change our style of play?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cpwigan

Re: Forwards

Post by cpwigan »

I think the forward size is fine and if the number of interchanges alters it could seriously harm big boppers. Size can be a strength but equally it is a big weakness to exploit.

The philosophy you play under is far more important than size.
menpond

Post by menpond »

Hoffman replacing Farrell,as example,would boost our forwards massively.Bateman is a decent distributing centre with just enough pace.Our current second rows are inadequate.Why do they have weights in boxing?
mp
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

:lol: Do not compare rugby to boxing

As long as your front rowers are X weight then they are fine and our backrowers are perfectly fine. This notion of Bateman as a centre is bizarre.

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

menpond wrote:Hoffman replacing Farrell,as example,would boost our forwards massively.Bateman is a decent distributing centre with just enough pace.Our current second rows are inadequate.Why do they have weights in boxing?
Why replace Farrell?
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

I think we need more size, our props don't seeem to be able to make much headway. Last night for example they only made about 26 carries all game. Surely that can't be allowed to carry on.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

cow yeds wrote:I think we need more size, our props don't seeem to be able to make much headway. Last night for example they only made about 26 carries all game. Surely that can't be allowed to carry on.
Unfortunately CW that is the gameplan. Very odd but it is. Working in and around the POTB, making the opposition front row work as hard as possible is none existent with Waneball.

I daresay our players come off games win or lose completely spent and they are DAMN fit athletes.
superleague

Post by superleague »

cpwigan wrote:
cow yeds wrote:I think we need more size, our props don't seeem to be able to make much headway. Last night for example they only made about 26 carries all game. Surely that can't be allowed to carry on.
Unfortunately CW that is the gameplan. Very odd but it is. Working in and around the POTB, making the opposition front row work as hard as possible is none existent with Waneball.

I daresay our players come off games win or lose completely spent and they are DAMN fit athletes.
That's the frustrating thing we have a decent pack but our game plan of just throwing the ball around like headless chickens and regardless of field position completely nullify's our pack, another thing that annoys me is people can't see this is the the stupid game plan set up by Wane it just doesn't work against a half decent defence and there comes in where is bloody plan B
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Tell me about it SL

Our players waste so much energy and use so little of opponents energy when we have the ball that when we do give it to them we are more fatigued than they are, we make mistakes, concede penalties and it gets worse and worse.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

superleague wrote:
cpwigan wrote:

That's the frustrating thing we have a decent pack but our game plan of just throwing the ball around like headless chickens and regardless of field position completely nullify's our pack, another thing that annoys me is people can't see this is the the stupid game plan set up by Wane it just doesn't work against a half decent defence and there comes in where is bloody plan B
That is exactly what i think.

Good Friday we won by grinding them down and scoring when we took our chances. Is it any coincidences that this season our strongest sides available have lost by big margins in at least 3 away games.

We have i think the best set of props in SL by a long margin. But when they do not get the ball to make yards makes you wonder why they are in the team in the 1st place if that's Wanes attitude. We beat Leeds and Giants by playing sensible rugby and taking the odd chance. Last night we took chances when we were under pressure and Wane not the team does not have another way of playing atm.

Wane did have a plan B its just that he has an obsession with some players and Plan A and nothing else matters. Unless he sorts it out and by that i mean himself then we are in trouble. in 2013 we did the double playing high quality and grinding rugby when needed. We need that style back or i can see Wane out by next season. It looks good when it works but 3 bad defeats away against decent sides just shows it does not work week in week out.