Basic Rugby League Football

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wintergreen

Basic Rugby League Football

Post by Wintergreen »

At the risk of sounding like the bald one, this is exactly what we need right now.

I have watched last nights game again (painful though it was), and tried to understand where our problems lie.

I could go on about effort, tactics etc, and be quite justified in doing so, but I believe that 65% of our woes can be fixed relatively easily.

1. The pack need to perform like forwards, not roll over and wait to be tickled on the belly.

2. We need creative half backs who can make the pass, make the half break, add the spark.

5 drives and a kick might be dull but at the moment it's EXACTLY what we need, at least in the short term.

Wane needs to realise that his "tactics" are simply ineffective.
Warrior20

Re: Basic Rugby League Football

Post by Warrior20 »

Wintergreen wrote:At the risk of sounding like the bald one, this is exactly what we need right now.

I have watched last nights game again (painful though it was), and tried to understand where our problems lie.

I could go on about effort, tactics etc, and be quite justified in doing so, but I believe that 65% of our woes can be fixed relatively easily.

1. The pack need to perform like forwards, not roll over and wait to be tickled on the belly.

2. We need creative half backs who can make the pass, make the half break, add the spark.

5 drives and a kick might be dull but at the moment it's EXACTLY what we need, at least in the short term.

Got to agree with this. Basic rugby is the best way, especially in your own half. The time for throwing it about is in the opposition 20 not your own. Leeds generally play quite basic, now and then they throw the ball around but never in their own half. They get their forward rolling the ball up the field and either put in a good kick or get the ball out wide.
BriH

Post by BriH »

Wintergreen wrote:At the risk of sounding like the bald one, this is exactly what we need right now.

Agree - basic simple rugby AND improve basic skills!
sheepsteeth

Post by sheepsteeth »

Rudderless! that is how I would describe us on the field in the last few games.

We've got the England captain and England & in our team (i know lockers didn't play last night) and we don't seem to have anyone organising.

I'm sick of seeing all these offloads when we're under the cosh, 5 dives from the forwards and a good kick and chase is what's needed. There is no point trying our shift plays of ridiculously slow ptb's. Grind teams down, make them over play because we're solid and have good completion.

I know there has been a lot of talk of "Waneball" on here but what i've seen recently isn't "Waneball" I've never seen so many offloads in daft positions or passing in front of our own sticks.

Our halves and centres have got no chance if the forwards aren't laying the platform. Did Budgie get a pass last night?

WHoever said "The forwards win matches, the backs decide by how many" was spot on and our forwards need to get some fire into them before we play Leeds.
PF Warrior

Post by PF Warrior »

BriH wrote:

Agree - basic simple rugby AND improve basic skills!
Wintergreen, could not agree more. Basic rugby skills can win matches against the best opposition.
i'm spartacus

Post by i'm spartacus »

Most accurate description of the game so far.

Warrington's platform comes from an engine room of mainly forwards who dominated the centre. Chris Hill 145 metres, Darryl Clarke 142 metres, Ben Westwood 119 metres.

Our platform is mostly backs; Bowen, Sarginson, Manfredi, Gelling, with our leading forward Joel on 96 metres.

There is no effective base for Matty Smith to do anything from, plus he's carrying George who isn't close to being the finished article. We could put Queensland's back line behind our pack and it would look rubbish
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

i'm spartacus wrote:Most accurate description of the game so far.

Warrington's platform comes from an engine room of mainly forwards who dominated the centre. Chris Hill 145 metres, Darryl Clarke 142 metres, Ben Westwood 119 metres.

Our platform is mostly backs; Bowen, Sarginson, Manfredi, Gelling, with our leading forward Joel on 96 metres.

There is no effective base for Matty Smith to do anything from, plus he's carrying George who isn't close to being the finished article. We could put Queensland's back line behind our pack and it would look rubbish
Well put if Waneball does exist its Wanes mission to get rid of props as an attacking threat.