Should we sell Jack Hughes to Warrington?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Should we sell Jack Hughes to Warrington?

Post by southportcdm »

More rumours today about Warrington chasing Jack Hughes. I'm under the impression that he's played quite well for Huddersfield so far. I accept that he didn't fulfil his full potential last year for us but he's still young and may well have learnt from a season elsewhere. I can't help asking myself is he a better option than Larne Patrick? Will Connor Farrell, Greg Burke or James Greenwood be better than Jack next season? I realise that not all of thee players are directly comparable and it's probable that Jack is on bigger money than the other Wigan youngsters. It's not often that Warrington take one of our players so somebody there must rate him. If Jack, Ian Thornley, Matty Bowen, Dan Sarginson and Budgie all leave, won't our squad then be a bit thin if we only get Sam and rely on several others to step up to the next level? The one positive spin I can put on this is that perhaps we are clearing some salary cap space for a top class signing but I do have my doubts. Any ideas?
sc74

Re: Should we sell Jack Hughes to Warrington?

Post by sc74 »

southportcdm wrote:The one positive spin I can put on this is that perhaps we are clearing some salary cap space for a top class signing but I do have my doubts. Any ideas?
ddtdff (?) has eluded to that.
Do you not think its strange that both players involved in the loan swap play/played better at Huddersfield?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Well Hughes might not want to come back!

I doubt we'd be selling him wherever he goes as I would guess his contract will be up soon.

I feel sorry for Patrick as I don't think he's been used correctly by Wane.

He seems to have a habit of doing this. Sots a player at another club playing well then gets them here only to use them in a totally different way to how they impressed him in the first place. He did this first with Lauaki.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Yes sc74, it is interesting if our loan players play better elsewhere. I was hoping to get another hint from ddtdff with my last comment.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

DaveO wrote:Well Hughes might not want to come back!

I doubt we'd be selling him wherever he goes as I would guess his contract will be up soon.

He seems to have a habit of doing this. Sots a player at another club playing well then gets them here only to use them in a totally different way to how they impressed him in the first place. He did this first with Lauaki.
Correct and a sign of a poor manager IMO

Tony Smith has done the same with Clarke, totally wrecked his game by making him a distibuting hooker instead of a scooting one
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

No, like Thornley he is mediocre, it's a sad state of affairs when fans are worried about losing players of this standard, Super League like Lockers is done
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Didn't he sign a five year contract? I'm sure he should still have two years left or at the very least one :conf:

The biggest mistake they made with Jack was after his very good first season in the second row, he was moved to the centre position after George Carmont left.

He told me he couldn't play centre & he didn't particularly want to play there but he was in the team which is what he wanted.

After that season where he didn't impress, people called him lazy IIRC, he lost his place in the second row. When he did play, he didn't seem to play as well. Maybe because he wasn't playing regularly enough to get back his previous good form.

I know I wasn't best pleased with the swap deal for Larne Patrick. I don't think he has accomplished what was expected of him IMO

He hasn't impressed me :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Maybe Jack going to Wire and one their players arriving at our place in a cash/swop sort of deal?
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

josie andrews wrote:

Didn't he sign a five year contract? I'm sure he should still have two years left or at the very least one :conf:

The biggest mistake they made with Jack was after his very good first season in the second row, he was moved to the centre position after George Carmont left.

He told me he couldn't play centre & he didn't particularly want to play there but he was in the team which is what he wanted.

After that season where he didn't impress, people called him lazy IIRC, he lost his place in the second row. When he did play, he didn't seem to play as well. Maybe because he wasn't playing regularly enough to get back his previous good form.

I know I wasn't best pleased with the swap deal for Larne Patrick. I don't think he has accomplished what was expected of him IMO

He hasn't impressed me :(
The same has happened to Joel, you think you would learn from your mistakes!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
markill

Post by markill »

I'd keep him. But whether he'd be happy as 3rd/4th choice after playing a full year I don't know. I'm assuming Wire would see him as a replacement for Westwood in the second row, he has to be moving to prop / middle unit soon.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod