BETTS OUT

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pedro

Re: BETTS OUT

Post by pedro »

Am I? It makkes no difference if you lose by 50 points or by 1 in the laegue does it??
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

pedro posted:
approx 11 months out with his length of service you can dismiss. Done it before thanks.
[/quote[
12 months for staff on permanent contracts, which he's not. Maybe I should ask our union guys what the rules are for contracted staff, but there has to be some protection for the individual concerned.
The teaam play 1 up rugby as no-one wants to go near the ball. COACHES FAULT as they have no idea!!!
Sorry, but that's bullsh*t. These players get paid more in a year than most of us earn in several, they are supposed to be professionals and you would expect them to be capable of independant thought to justify their positions in the sport. I'm sure we could find 17 brainless idiots who would cost a lot less than £1.8million if that's what was wanted. They are supposed to be the top players in rugby league. Some of them are international players. You're suggesting that the players do little apart from what the coach explicitly tells them to do - if that's true then what's the difference between these players and any others, such as amateurs in the north-west counties league? What do they do in their full-time training? Obviously there is a difference, and amongst those differences is an ability to read the game and improvise as things develop. That's a skill for the PLAYERS, not the coach. He's not controlling them all with a computer like a bunch of robots.

The players will realise that one-man rugby is making any progress, and even the most stupid will know they're not playing well or winning any games, so it shouldn't be too much to ask for someone on the field to try something different. That doesn't seem to be happening, so either the players are incapable, or there is some other reason why they're not prepared to show their worth in which case you'd have to wonder if they should be being paid their nice big salary.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Yeah it does make ad ifference. Like Mrs Carney has just stated but you chose to ignore that part of it, you said it was pathetic performance on what evidence? The scoreline, complete crap it was not pathetic on the evidence that I was there and saw it. Whos statement is more believable?
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
pedro

Post by pedro »

Fraggle posted:
pedro posted:
approx 11 months out with his length of service you can dismiss. Done it before thanks.
[/quote[
12 months for staff on permanent contracts, which he's not. Maybe I should ask our union guys what the rules are for contracted staff, but there has to be some protection for the individual concerned.
You will find im right on the above.

Also if what your sayin is true why need a coach as you say they think for themselves!!

Proved it for saints the other day too didnt it??
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

MrsLam posted:
Yeah it does make ad ifference. Like Mrs Carney has just stated but you chose to ignore that part of it, you said it was pathetic performance on what evidence? The scoreline, complete crap it was not pathetic on the evidence that I was there and saw it. Whos statement is more believable?
Obviously he's just believing the media etc like has become popular recently, i too was there very early to make sure i could get in to watch what was a great performance and a crap scoreline that doesnt reflect the game!
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
pedro

Post by pedro »

The media told the play as it happened and the scoreline.

Great performance but losing to a mid table team....hhhmmmmm
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

pedro posted:
Also if what your sayin is true why need a coach as you say they think for themselves!!

To direct play in a general sense, and get a feel for what's going on from a different angle. Also to make tactical changes in terms of players. The coach isn't there to drop the ball, pass to no-one, knock-on or run off-side, or tell the other players "don't bother supporting me, I'm going alone", which are some of things Betts is being blamed for.

A scenario for you. Say the coach has said, "play one-man rugby, we'll see what happens." On the pitch the team do as told, and nothing comes of it. What do they do? Keep doing the same thing? Or should someone say "this isn't working, I'm going to try something else"? They're not going to say "I can see a gap there, oh but I'd better not do anything because the coach hasn't told me what to do". If the player tries something new, outside of their explicit instructions, and it works then the coach will be as happy as everyone else, and that's exactly the kind of thing the pivotal players should be doing. Faz dug us out of the mess plenty of times by taking the game on like that, Luke Robinson did the same famously against St Helens. I didn't see anyone doing anything like that against Widnes and UTC.

Coaches direct players, but it's the players who have the ball and are the ones who can score tries (or not, as the case may be).

And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....

[hr]
The Black Pearl

Post by The Black Pearl »

Got to agree with we need a coach on this one. It's time for Betts to accept that although he was a great player he ain't a great or even average coach. We were up 22 to 12 and we still got beat. The fact of it is Denis' team are unable to kill games off. Bring in Mega Mouth Millward and you'll see the difference.
Pain is temporary pride is forever
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

pedro posted:
The media told the play as it happened and the scoreline.

Great performance but losing to a mid table team....hhhmmmmm
Our eyes saw the game as it happened, we're a mid team table if you hadnt realised!
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

pedro posted:
It was widely rumoured they hadn't trained for half the week. That, coupled with a lack of general direction from the non-existent coach probably played the biggest part. Or maybe the players were deliberately not playing properly as a protest against Millie's sacking? It wouldn't have been the the first time a St Helens team hadn't put 100% effort into a game. Again, the stand-in coach didn't drop the ball etc.

[hr]