BETTS OUT

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
waterside glens

Re: BETTS OUT

Post by waterside glens »

it,s time to bring in millie and hopefully keep dennis as assistant, as for the comment about faz getting ijured ,i would like to see him play again as he,s still on the pay roll but your sporting morals must be like your memory....very small . now wash your mouth out
we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

waterside glens posted:
it,s time to bring in millie and hopefully keep dennis as assistant, as for the comment about faz getting ijured ,i would like to see him play again as he,s still on the pay roll but your sporting morals must be like your memory....very small . now wash your mouth out
:( Another stupid reply, if Millward is appointed on 'wednnesday' ?? he won't want Betts, or any of the backroom staff, he'll clear the lot out !!

:angry: :angry:
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

I tend to agree with what Dave Woods has to say in this article...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 550023.stm
These quotes...
"The pressure on Denis Betts is growing, but unfairly. Given a fair wind and a decent squad, you'd back Betts to grow into one of the best coaches around."

...and later in the same article...

" If there is an argument for sticking with your coach, take a look at Warrington.
According to some fans, Paul Cullen had outstayed his welcome a couple of months ago. Now he's walking on water."

"
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN posted:
I tend to agree with what Dave Woods has to say in this article...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 550023.stm
These quotes...
"The pressure on Denis Betts is growing, but unfairly. Given a fair wind and a decent squad, you'd back Betts to grow into one of the best coaches around."

...and later in the same article...

" If there is an argument for sticking with your coach, take a look at Warrington.
According to some fans, Paul Cullen had outstayed his welcome a couple of months ago. Now he's walking on water."

"
The implication of the Dave Woods article is two fold.

First that the squad being as it is no one can get it to go any better. In which case we don't need a coach at all. The players can just turn up every week and play the same brand of football week in and week out.

The second is that Betts isn't yet ready but that the Wigan first team is the place he should serve his apprenticship. I find that idea bizarre.

I don't know on what basis he thinks Betts will grow into a good coach either. Since when has being an outstanding player meant you automatically become an outstanding coach?

As to the fact Wire have doine well recently is reason to stick with Betts why does that follow? What evidence is there that Betts is turning it around and getting more then 60 mins out the players or learning to use the interchange correctly?

It might be hard luck on Betts if he gets the push but if he can't do the job required and someine else can then he has to make way.

Dave
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

waterside glens posted:
Totally Agree. Betts is still learning to be a coach and unfortunately is in the wrong club to learn unless he stays as an assistant.

The bit about the injury by the poster is i think tongue-in-cheek his comment is fair, if he is a squad member he plays if not he goes.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

i agree totally but i just didn,t like the injury suggestion soory if i took it up wrong
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

waterside glens posted:
i agree totally but i just didn,t like the injury suggestion soory if i took it up wrong
My view is if he was on the bus yesterday and fit then he plays and runs the risk of getting injured. He wants it both ways and that i feel is causing a lot of problems in the club. He either plays or cut all ties with the team.
we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

:angry:

The Farrell affair is making us a laughing stock, it has been handled very badly by the club and player, he is taking the p*ss.

He should'nt be allowed antwhere near the JJB, we should cut all ties.

:angry:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble posted:
waterside glens posted:
My view is if he was on the bus yesterday and fit then he plays and runs the risk of getting injured. He wants it both ways and that i feel is causing a lot of problems in the club. He either plays or cut all ties with the team.
I don't know if it is causing problems or not but what is worrying me is someone must feel his presance is needed.

Why is that? Is he coaching the team instead of Betts? When he goes will Betts have no idea at all? Who is giving the half time team talk?

I have no doubt Farrell has the best of motives but the very fact he is involved is disturbing because he won't be soon and then where does the inspiration come from?

Dave
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO posted:
thegimble posted:
waterside glens posted:
I don't know if it is causing problems or not but what is worrying me is someone must feel his presance is needed.

Why is that? Is he coaching the team instead of Betts? When he goes will Betts have no idea at all? Who is giving the half time team talk?

I have no doubt Farrell has the best of motives but the very fact he is involved is disturbing because he won't be soon and then where does the inspiration come from?

Dave
Maybe i have a different view on this than most. If you had to work with someone who was leaving the same job as you do for a new challenge more money or reason, id be questioning what the hell he was still doing here.

1. Id not have the same respect for him
2. If he wanted to go what the hell is he doing here
3. If he was not ill why is the company paying him to sit on his arse all week.
4. Does he really care how we do. Especially if he was as of last week meeting up with his new work mates and then turn up at our workplace.

I agree in part with what the original post said re him playing and getting injured. Ok i do not want him to get injured but lets be fair on the rest of the team if he is fit then he plays until his contract runs out. Otherwise put him on garden leave.