Lockers retiring, Greg Burke returning

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
East Stand Faithful

Lockers retiring, Greg Burke returning

Post by East Stand Faithful »

HULL KR coach Chris Chester has hailed Greg Burke as a 'ready-made replacement' for Sean O'Loughlin after confirming the forward will return to Wigan next season.

KR were hopeful of retaining the loanee 22-year-old for the 2016 campaign, but the Warriors have recalled Burke to eventually replace O'Loughlin, who looks set to join the Wigan coaching staff.

Burke has made 14 appearances for the Robins this season despite an ankle injury sustained in the 60-0 reverse at Wigan curtailing his game-time.

He has done enough, though, to warrant a Wigan recall and Chester couldn't be more happy that Burke has landed another opportunity with Shaun Wane's men.

"Unfortunately, Greg is going to be going back to Wigan. They want him back next year, but I'm really pleased for him," Chester told the Mail.

"He's been fantastic for us this year and he is a fantastic rugby league player.

"He's done really well during his time here, and with Sean O'Loughlin retiring, he's probably a ready-made replacement for Sean. I'm really pleased he's got another opportunity at Wigan.

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Chris-Ch ... tory.html?
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
Wiganer Ted

Re: Lockers retiring, Greg Burke returning

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Lockers is so important to the team and fans yet the first hint of him retiring comes from an HKR press conf.

I wouldn't be too sure. If Larne Patrick's leaving then maybe Greg Burke is his replacement and nothing whatsoever to do with Lockers. Hope so.

Only Lockers knows how he feels and how his body is. I'd be quite happy to see him go around another time. Play him 2nd row with his replacement going at 13.
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

I bet Wigan are not too happy with this story coming from Hull given we have helped them out.

Bilko has confirmed the Greg Burke part of it.

I hope if Sean is retiring the club give a fitting tribute and send off to a fine player and one club man!
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think it has been artistic licence from Hull KR. Wigan (I am glad) see Greg Burke still in their plans but whilst Greg offers a LF option, so does Bateman, so do others no doubt and we all know Lockers will at some point retire but maybe KR have read too much into what was said. My guess would be that Lockers could do another season quite easily and ANY player is a long time retired to make that call too early.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

If it is true about Locler's, than I hope in goes out in style by us winning the Grand Final.

As for his position, Bateman or Joel Tomkins for me as I have seen nothing from Burke which has impressed me when he played Loose Forward.

But we all have our own opinions!
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Nothing against Greg as I'm sure he will fit into the team in some capacity but my preference would be John Bateman who reads the game very well and also a safe pair of hands.I would also leave Joel in second row and bring in a dedicated centre.
bomhead

Post by bomhead »

people are probably going shoot me down for saying this but I think lockers would do a cracking job for us at prop and then we can rotate him - let greg or john have a go at 13 maybe even Connor Faz
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

I think Bateman is a ready made loos forward - reminds me a lot of Andy Farrell , may be needs a bit more meat on him but i think he as a good rugby brain on him
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

bomhead

Post by bomhead »

OAMJSS wrote:I think Bateman is a ready made loos forward - reminds me a lot of Andy Farrell , may be needs a bit more meat on him but i think he as a good rugby brain on him
I agree
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

KOOCH wrote:Nothing against Greg as I'm sure he will fit into the team in some capacity but my preference would be John Bateman who reads the game very well and also a safe pair of hands.I would also leave Joel in second row and bring in a dedicated centre.
I think the only issue with that is whether or not he could withstand the prop role physically and whether or not it leaves us too lightweight.

Defensively not a great problem as our LF defends close to the POTB anyway.