Why have we got Warrington away in the Super 8's ?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
curryman

Why have we got Warrington away in the Super 8's ?

Post by curryman »

I thought every minute mattered in this new format.
So why have ended up with Warrington away when we finished 3rd and they came 6th? We end up with Leeds, Saints and Wire all away, doesn't seem right to me.

(Not mentioning the Catalan "home" match being played at Millwall FC joke, other than, what an insult that is to season ticket holders and other loyal fans)

http://www.extraordinaryrugby.com/
standishcat

Re: Why have we got Warrington away in the Super 8's ?

Post by standishcat »

Playing Catalan in London might work in our favour re: temperature, weather. Never easy to go to south France, especially in the heat of summer.

Can you tell I'm a glass half full kinda person? :blush:
Warrior20

Post by Warrior20 »

standishcat wrote:Playing Catalan in London might work in our favour re: temperature, weather. Never easy to go to south France, especially in the heat of summer.

The Catalan game is a home game for us so we have no advantage whatsoever. We struggle to win away.
curryman

Post by curryman »

standishcat wrote:Playing Catalan in London might work in our favour re: temperature, weather. Never easy to go to south France, especially in the heat of summer.

Catalan is one of our home games. If it was an away game then yes, London might be better. We get penalised during the regular season because we always have to play Leeds (or previously Saints) at Magic weekend, so more times than any one else. Now we get the three toughest away games, so what was the "reward" in coming third? Effectively we have a home game next week then we don't have another one until September 11th.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

curryman wrote:

Catalan is one of our home games. If it was an away game then yes, London might be better. We get penalised during the regular season because we always have to play Leeds (or previously Saints) at Magic weekend, so more times than any one else. Now we get the three toughest away games, so what was the "reward" in coming third? Effectively we have a home game next week then we don't have another one until September 11th.
but the reverse is we get "easier" home games.
gruffy

Post by gruffy »

The catalan game was a home fixture now surrendered to make it an away fixture..

We all know this stupidity of course but i have to write it down as in my head it makes no sense whatsoever to givee up a home game.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

i for one will not be going to the Den had bad experiences there over the years with the football hooligans ( watch out on the under ground if anyone is using it on the day they Millwall have all the routes manned up / or they used to anyway - i dnt agree with us playing a game London at all
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

markill

Post by markill »

curryman wrote:I thought every minute mattered in this new format.
So why have ended up with Warrington away when we finished 3rd and they came 6th? We end up with Leeds, Saints and Wire all away, doesn't seem right to me.

(Not mentioning the Catalan "home" match being played at Millwall FC joke, other than, what an insult that is to season ticket holders and other loyal fans)

http://www.extraordinaryrugby.com/
We can't play 5 at home and 2 away, just like Leeds can't play all at home. Thats what was agreed and set out a long time ago, it was known what positions would play what other positions home and away about 12 months ago.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
markill

Post by markill »

OAMJSS wrote:i for one will not be going to the Den had bad experiences there over the years with the football hooligans ( watch out on the under ground if anyone is using it on the day they Millwall have all the routes manned up / or they used to anyway - i dnt agree with us playing a game London at all
Will the footbal hooligans care?
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

someone else either on here or another site commented
on how the super 8's has worked out for us and it actually isnt that bad.

we have 4 home games that you would expect us to win, nothing against the teams we are playing but if you were a betting man?

we have 3 away game against teams that we would normaly turn up for (bar warrington this year)

Wigan Vs Saints the last few years is never guaranteed either way

Wigan vs Leeds we have beat them twice this year both away.

Wigan vs Warrington - if we play well we should beat them.

so without sounding cocky you would expect 8 points with a possibility of picking up a win vs the bigger teams

if we had warrington,leeds, saints and one other at home
you'd only expect to win one of your 4 homes games with the other 3 being either way

that would leave you 3 away games vs everyone else and with Wigans current away form vs anyone but the big teams the results are anyones guess.

again thats just a breif example of somthing i read regarding our super 8 fixtures that i found myself agreeing with.

in short with the current matches bar a implosion of home form we should be picking up 8 points min which should be enough to be in the top 4
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.