Anderson takes over at Saints

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Anderson takes over at...

Post by DaveO »

Dawber posted:
Why on earth can't they just pay mike's contract up ?
I don't understand that either. At work we had someone who had a brain tumour, was off for two years and in the end the company and her went their seperate ways once a settlement was agreed. There was no way she was coming back and companies are not oblidged to pay ill staff wages for the rest of their life.

There comes a time when losing you job happens to anyone with a long term illness.

I am sure Wigan would not short change Mike and so I can only think Mike won't accept a payoff. If he doesn't accept a payoff then if he recovers he is then in theory stil a Wigan employee and free to take up his job again. Perhaps that is it.

If so then it still leaves the club in a very unsatisfactory position especially if at the end of the day Mike is too ill for this to be a realistic outcome.

Dave
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Dawber posted:
he will not be coming back to coach wigan as reports say he is to ill, Mike would be happy with the lump sum i'm sure,
that would then in turn free up the position of coach
I don't know the ins and outs of employment law when releasing someone from their contract due to illness, but maybe there's something in the contract linked to a pension plan, or even that the contract needs to be terminated in a certain way to trigger disability benefits or some such thing? These things are rarely as simple as we might think, and, let's face it, the guy's very ill and I certainly don't begrudge him trying to make sure he gets the best deal he can.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Dawber

Post by Dawber »

Doveoverdave posted:
We may need a new coach but the situation has been exacerbatted by MG illness. Why would you want to risk the same again by employing a man with a history of heart trouble.

The way we are playing at the moment Chris Anderson wouldn't last 2 weeks!
I did'nt say employ him, i said if wigan wanted to sign a coach why hav'nt they signed one of those two guys ? i could've named many names but they are the two that have been in the frame on this message board along with ian millward,
i for one don't think the media and public would think bad of wigan for paying mike up, he would be getting every penny that was due to him but in a lump sum, i'm sure most people would understand the situation, but as i said in my previous post if they ain't signed a coach now what makes people think they are going to sign one this week??
Ron

Post by Ron »

Dawber posted:
he will not be coming back to coach wigan as reports say he is to ill, Mike would be happy with the lump sum i'm sure,
that would then in turn free up the position of coach
but i just can't see wigan signing anyone yet, chris anderson has been a free agent for the last few weeks and daniel anderson went to saints in no time at all, if wigan were desperate to sign a new coach would'nt they have signed one of these guys, why sign ian millward just because he has become available??,
if wnac is right (wich i doubt) it will be interesting to see what happens over the next few days.
IMO negotiations must have been ongoing for some while with Daniel Anderson, it all seems to have been done too quickly. Saints said that they had no intention of signing Chris Anderson (maybe because he was already spoken for - Wigan??). Could ML be finalising this deal. I can't see either ML or MG hanging about for so long without some progress being made in settling this matter. I think Ian Millward is too risky a bet but then he may have been taught a lesson and will keep his mouth shut in future. It's just a matter of time till we find out what's happening. Be patient.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I am sure that I heard on Sky that Wigan had offered to pay off MG's contract in full, but he had refused. They implied that he was still holding out some hope of returning.

It's a bad situation, Wigan obviously want to sort it out, however by accepting the settlement MG is essentially saying "I'm finished, I'm never getting better" - and that would be a pretty hard thing for anyone to live with.

Personally I think Anderson would probably do a good job - however coaching the Kangaroos isn't exactly the toughest coaching role when you consider their playing roster!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------