Re: COACH

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

ian millward - look at his record with saints
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

I don't know who I would have but I know I don't want Ian Millward. He wouldn't work miracles with us, he's arrogant and he's far too controversial
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Chris Anderson - Best coach in Rugby.

One of the Best coaches in the NRL
(Apart from Cronulla struggling)

Won the Ashes with the worse Kangaroo squad in recent times. 3-0

Turned the Gwent Dragons into a decent side in the Celtic League.

My secondchoice is Shaun Edwards and the Milward followied by Hanley.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

thegimble posted:
Chris Anderson - Best coach in Rugby.

One of the Best coaches in the NRL
(Apart from Cronulla struggling)

Won the Ashes with the worse Kangaroo squad in recent times. 3-0

Turned the Gwent Dragons into a decent side in the Celtic League.

My secondchoice is Shaun Edwards and the Milward followied by Hanley.
Anderson, then Monie, Hanley, Edwards. Wouldn't want Millie, for all his success he puts too many people's backs up and the rest of the sport already seems to come up with enough excuses to have a go at Wigan without bringing him in. I wouldn't accept, for example, deliberately putting out a weak squad no matter who we were playing or what the circumstances were.

Monie is apparently thinking of coaching again, the French national squad has been mentioned. He's always got on well with ML, and it wasn't the current management who fired him back in '99.

I'd then go for Hanley above Edwards, as Edwards is, in RL terms, as much of a novice as Betts. My one concern about Ellery is that he attracted publicity to himself in the same way that Mildred did at Saints (although not for the same reasons!). The coach is there to coach the team, not hog the headlines as a distraction to what needs to be done on the pitch.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

Having been away on holiday whilst the furore over Millward's deserved sacking has been going on, I arrived home eager to see the reaction of the Wigan fans. I was appalled at the number of posts advocating that he come to Wigan. I have watched Rugby League for over 50 years and I can say with my hand on my heart that this is the most despicable man to be associated with the game during that time. How any Wigan fan would want him here beggars belief. It says a lot that St. Helens, despite his unrivalled success, have got rid of him.

I feel that some fans would sell their soul to the Devil for success but for me, I'd rather be in the second division that watch a team led by Millward - we don't need his sort here!!!!!
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

MrsLam posted:
I don't know who I would have but I know I don't want Ian Millward. He wouldn't work miracles with us, he's arrogant and he's far too controversial
Same here on both counts. Don't know who I would go for but the idea Millward sticks in the throat.

Like Fraggle the idea he would deliberately throw a game would always be at the back of my mind and I don't want that at Wigan. That bothers me more than his off-field antics for some reason! I expect to see 100% effort from the team every game.

What we need is a coach who can worlk with average players and get them to be above average. They must also be able to work with young players.

I am not sure if any of those mentioned so far can do that. I have this feeling that C Anderson has a reputation of preferring experience over youth for example.

Hanley? Nope. Been away too long and I am not sure what his qualifiactions are these days. Someone like Brian Smith would do better.

I think it would be a lot simpler if Mike Greg just got better! (and I am sure he would agree).

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

AncientWarrior posted:
I feel that some fans would sell their soul to the Devil for success
A lot of the Saints fans did just that IMO. Thjere was very little critisism of Millward when they were winning.

He got some for the controversial team selections but he also got a lot saying he was right to do it! It really did bring the game into disrepute and to be blunt I don't think he can be trusted.

I can see the attaction in some way at the momement because he was successful and seemed to know how to get the players to play (which Betts doesn't seem able to do) but there must be other coaches who can do that.

Dave
silver surfer

Post by silver surfer »

AncientWarrior posted:
Having been away on holiday whilst the furore over Millward's deserved sacking has been going on, I arrived home eager to see the reaction of the Wigan fans. I was appalled at the number of posts advocating that he come to Wigan. I have watched Rugby League for over 50 years and I can say with my hand on my heart that this is the most despicable man to be associated with the game during that time. How any Wigan fan would want him here beggars belief. It says a lot that St. Helens, despite his unrivalled success, have got rid of him.

I feel that some fans would sell their soul to the Devil for success but for me, I'd rather be in the second division that watch a team led by Millward - we don't need his sort here!!!!!
I'm with you Ancient Warrior. My sentiments exactly.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Sorry to make you sick, but despite the fact he's an arrogant tw*t he's good at what he does, which is coaching. Sure he causes more upset than most coaches, but he knows how to motivate a team and we are a team that needs motivating.
Chris anderson or ian millward are the two most likely to come to wigan if and when we get a new coach, half the reason we hate his guts is because he was the saints coach and was bl**dy good at it, i hate the idea of fielding weakened teams or anything so thats one aspect i wouldnt want him to bring to the club, but like it or not millward is a good coach.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

He might be a good coach but that doesn't mean he's best for Wigan. We need confidence right now, we won't gain confidence when he says "Right, I'm putting out a weakened team which is you, you and you (the team we are probably playing right now) to save the better players of this team. We need him to build up the non performing or under performing players.
We need new levels of fitness, new ideas a bit of inspiration and for these players to become big. Saints said they were sick of him being bigger than the club, if he came to Wigan and did the same, so would I.
I don't care who he coached last season, he doesn't anymore but I still don't want him here
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!