Wigan Warriors scrum half Matty Smith seemingly a certain starter again for England in what is a key role

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors scrum half Matty Smith seemingly a certain starter again for England in what is a key role

Post by josie andrews »

Matty Smith, the Wigan Warriors half back, looks to be the front runner to be named as England's starting scrum half for the Autumn internationals against New Zealand

Wigan Warrriors scrum half Matty Smith appears to be again be in pole position to play scrum half against New Zealand in the end of season internationals.

Despite not being as consistent and as prominent as he was last season, Smith is strongly tipped to again fulfil what is a key role against the current world champions.

Smith can play to a system as he does at Wigan and this suits the England coach Steve McNamara.

With Warrington’s Richie Myler not really hitting the heights and set for a move to the Catalan Dragons, Smith is strongly tipped to start.

The master, namely Alex Murphy, has called in the past for Smith to take the line on more and be more direct but his Wigan boss Shaun Wane is clearly happy with the job he does for his club.

McNamara will want Smith to galvanize a powerful pack.

Murphy remains a firm believer in there being no substitute for pace especially at international level.

Andy Gregory has also thrown up an interesting observation by claiming the best half back duo he has seen this term is the Leigh Centurions combination of Ryan Brierley and Martyn Ridyard.

Most clubs still pin their faith in overseas stars at half back hence the genuine shortage of top-class, homegrown scrum halves.

This is a concern but it’s a situation that works in Smith’s favour.

Young George Williams has been Smith’s regular half back partner and he too is being talked about as a possible squad member.

The experience would clearly benefit Williams who has done well and repaid the faith shown in him by coach Wane.

Williams is certainly direct and is both creative and a genuine threat with the ball.

McNamara may well take a punt on the Wigan duo but there is also talk of Sam Tomkins possibly being considered for the halves if fully fit.

McNamara also has Gareth Widdup to call upon with Tomkins facing competition at full back from the Leeds Rhinos’ man Zak Hardaker.

His form has been nothing short of sensational at times with Tomkins, in contrast, heading home from the New Zealand Warriors following a season hindered by injury.

Saints assistant coach Sean Long recently labelled Kallum Watkins, a lad who somehow slipped through Salford’s net as a youngster, as one of the best players in the world right now.

Few would disagree with Watkins looking every inch the world class centre he is. He has hardly put a foot wrong this season and is one of those players who can make things happen in an instance.

Watkins has everything and more in his locker according to Long who played with one of the modern game’s finest centres - Martin Gleeson.

Watkins has now taken over the Gleeson mantle.

Any winger will thrive from having Watkins as his centre and this is where McNamara has a selection headache.

Wigan’s Josh Charnley has made no secret of his desire to finish the season strongly but is one of those who could miss out.

Saints winger Tommy Makinson and the Leeds’ steam-roller Ryan Hall appear to be above Charnley in the pecking order then add five-try Wembley hero Tom Briscoe to the mix.

Charnley has even been under pressure at club level from Dom Manfredi.

Salford Red Devils boss have called for Josh Griffin to be looked at. He has been a handful in the centre and at one stage, there was no better go forward prop than Scott Taylor.

Wigan hooker Mickey Mcllorum is Marwan Koukash’s choice for the prestigious Man of Steel title.

He is also sure to be in McNamara’s plans along with the dependable Liam Farrell who has possibly been Wigan’s Mr Consistency this term.

John Bateman is another fine player coming to the fore at Wigan. The versatility of Stefan Ratchford at Warrington will no doubt warrant consideration and don’t be surprised to see some of the Saints young guns receiving a call up for what should be a terrific test series.

Look out too for a formidable pack.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... -10009608?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Re: Wigan Warriors scrum half Matty Smith seemingly a certain starter again...

Post by jobo »

Makinson ahead of Charnley? Don't agree with that.

I like Makinson, he's a good player but Josh is class.

nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

jobo wrote:Makinson ahead of Charnley? Don't agree with that.

I like Makinson, he's a good player but Josh is class.
Not this year he isn't.

He has had injuries, lost his place to Manfredi rightly so. When he has come back he hasn't been bad but he hasn't been amazing either, just average I would say.

From my observation, we do not seem to be playing to the side of the pitch Charnley is on. I cannot remember seeing him get the ball in open space and really make a go of it down the wing.

Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Charnley isnt half the player he was before his injury i would have makinson infront of him.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

I would have Budgie before all of them!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Wigan_forever1985

Good point tbw
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Burgess and Hall I assume will be the starting wingers with Makinson and Briscoe as up I would say. That's what will happen.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan_forever1985

nathan_rugby wrote:Burgess and Hall I assume will be the starting wingers with Makinson and Briscoe as up I would say. That's what will happen.
I'd say that's fair - I think mcgilvray deserves a chance he's been solid for hudds
jobo

Post by jobo »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Charnley isnt half the player he was before his injury i would have makinson infront of him.
Charnley following his injury, has been far better than Tommy, following his injury. Had josh been playing outside a decent centre, he'd be rivalling Burgess for top try scorer.
Wigan_forever1985

jobo wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Charnley isnt half the player he was before his injury i would have makinson infront of him.
Charnley following his injury, has been far better than Tommy, following his injury. Had josh been playing outside a decent centre, he'd be rivalling Burgess for top try scorer.
Charnley has been largely annoymus he very rarely makes breaks anymore seems to want to take the tackle rather than find the gap. I'd have mcgilvray infront of both the more I think of it