Squad v Hull FC

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Squad v Hull FC

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Unchanged from last week

*** http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2015- ... nged-squad
Regards , EW

*** Fixed your link - Josie :)
2002 and EW is hooked
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Squad v Hull FC

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Waney is obviously trying to get some continuity going but it surprises me that we have not drafted one or two fringe players in to give our 'experienced' guys a rest before the final push. Hull are shot at and therefore we could afford to let several players have a week off especially the ones carrying bumps and bruises. I expect both Burgess and Gelling to get a gig and they will need to impress if that are to force themselves into the team at Saints.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Three things I'd like people to comment on if you have the time; Firstly, what if Matty Bowen gets injured between now and the semi or Grand final? I assume we play Rocky at 1. If that's the case doesn't Rocky really need a game or two? Tomorrow would be an ideal opportunity so perhaps Waney will try it. Secondly, if Bateman is effectively one of our two best centres, and he's only played a few games in that position, surely he'd be better at centre for the rest of the season? The fact that he may well be Sean's replacement at 13 in the long term shouldn't override the importance of more experience in this new position. Thirdly, play young Gildhart as much as possible until we know for certain if he could manage a big game this season (he's every chance of being a star long term). If he doesn't get a few more games and then injury forces us to play him in a big match he'll find it very difficult. If he needs more time that's fine but we may just need him.
markill

Post by markill »

On the Gildart point, I think the big great of what he might be ready for will come at Saints. If he performs there he can perform at OT if we make it and we need him to. I don't see the benefit in playing Bateman at centre with Gelling back. If target see Lockers and Joel, as well as Bateman, not playing the full 80 this week and rotate them a bit instead. No need to rest people though, pressures on for top two and we want everyone in good form. Play the best we have but that doesn't need to be the full 80
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Why suddenly bring Gildart into the team at the business end of the season when for weeks we have played two back row forwards at Centre.

Surely in view of the fact he is a Centre, he should have been introduced when Sarginson got injured

Just a observation.
markill

Post by markill »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Why suddenly bring Gildart into the team at the business end of the season when for weeks we have played two back row forwards at Centre.

Surely in view of the fact he is a Centre, he should have been introduced when Sarginson got injured

Just a observation.
he came in when Gelling and Sarginson were both injured I think is the answer to that. When just one or the other was injured they were happy to play first Joel and then Bateman in the centres, but with both starting centres out obviously moving them both out of the back row was too big a hole to fill, especially with Farrell now injured too.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Why suddenly bring Gildart into the team at the business end of the season when for weeks we have played two back row forwards at Centre.

Just a observation.
Have we ever started with Joel and Bateman as centres?

In parts of the season Gildart could have come in but he may not have been ready and may have been out on loan. I think he has been brought in at the right time.

With Farrell out injured, lockers and joel not at their best, I think its important to move Bateman back to 2nd row if we can.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I think Gildart is in because of the successive injuries to both centre's and now to Liam Farrell. Moving Bateman now weakens the second row down to just one first choice starter from the pool of three.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

No Bowen or Lockers!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Tautai at loose forward?
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.