St Cuthberts

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
shaunedwardsfanclub

St Cuthberts

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

I believe that they will not be fielding either an U18s or U16s team this year due to the cost of running these teams. I am also told that a number of other local amateur clubs are considering doing the same. These lads are the lifeblood of our game.

I wonder if Wigan should help out?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cpwigan

Re: St Cuthberts

Post by cpwigan »

I can maybe understand U18s but U16s is crazy.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:I can maybe understand U18s but U16s is crazy.
Exactly. Doesn't make sense to me either. Its the final season at junior level- few clubs field an U17 or U18 side.

That said, the way Wigan operate means that talent is usually spotted before they reach this age.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

The downfall of the game continues
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

True KW but I was thinking more of the amateur club and the players not likely to progress to the pro ranks. For me, amateur clubs surely want players at 16 continuing to their open age teams and ending U16s makes that far less likely to happen. If I was an amateur club I would be looking to take the best non pro U16 to my club.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I guess this won't help the gane get its participation based grants back will it? IMO its the RFL that needs to help but as Hetherington said - its up to the individual xlubs. You'll get no help guidanve or strategy from the RFL, its not their responsibility.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Perhaps its because these days less lads are interested in rugby due to the many other things going on for youngsters these days?

Pop Concerts, X Boxes being just two examples.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Perhaps its because these days less lads are interested in rugby due to the many other things going on for youngsters these days?

Pop Concerts, X Boxes being just two examples.
id say the main issue is Football seems to have become the be all and end all of sport in the UK, Rugby League gets very little advertisement away from the towns with Clubs.

what amuses me is the complete lack of intrested from the RLF they are more interested in making it look like they are in profit than growing the sport.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
doc

Post by doc »

Numbers of kids playing and the quality varies from year to year. Hampshire/Williams year was exceptional, last couple have not been as good. This spreads down through to the community clubs. Also if a team is struggling sometimes their better players migrate to more successful clubs resulting in teams folding.

I don't think summer rugby has worked well for the amateur game. I have colleagues who play and the amount of matches cancelled due to teams not being able to field a 13 is getting ridiculous. This is due to holidays, exams, weddings etc. The same pressures on players are not as big a problem in winter although there is the issue with the weather.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I am not convinced summer RL works full stop despite the sensible logic it would be more successful.