More teams in SL, whatever next

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pedro

Re: More teams in SL, what...

Post by pedro »

Would also like a cumbrian based team. They are still producing top class players as they always have done. IMO should also get a scotish and a welsh team in there.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Werent toulouse or pia hoping for an entry to SL, cant think which one it was though.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

pedro posted:
Would also like a cumbrian based team. They are still producing top class players as they always have done. IMO should also get a scotish and a welsh team in there.
Wales, I've no problem about, but is there the fanbase in Scotland to support an SL team? Look what happened to Gateshead, they didn't last long with only a small number of fans. You might also have the same problem in Cumbria, with a handful of smallish towns rather than big areas to draw in fans. I still think I'd rather have another French team with 8000 fans, rather than a Scottish team with a couple of thousand. There's a compromise between expansion for the sake of it into new areas, and being realistic about where there is interest for that expansion. I don't think there's any argument that SL would be good in Wales, but I'd have it being viable in Scotland.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
pedro

Post by pedro »

Fraggle posted:
pedro posted:
Wales, I've no problem about, but is there the fanbase in Scotland to support an SL team? Look what happened to Gateshead, they didn't last long with only a small number of fans. You might also have the same problem in Cumbria, with a handful of smallish towns rather than big areas to draw in fans. I still think I'd rather have another French team with 8000 fans, rather than a Scottish team with a couple of thousand. There's a compromise between expansion for the sake of it into new areas, and being realistic about where there is interest for that expansion. I don't think there's any argument that SL would be good in Wales, but I'd have it being viable in Scotland.
I was just thinking of the same reason as Wales would have been good a couple of years ago. The Scotish rugby union team is S***. Scotish football is S*** so I thought give rugby league a bash. Cumbria would draw a lot from the likes of workington,barrow and whitehaven just a thought though.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

mrs_carney posted:
Werent toulouse or pia hoping for an entry to SL, cant think which one it was though.
Toulouse.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Fraggle posted:
Toulouse.
And with a name like that, we could persuade wnac to go and 'support' them.
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Because I personally don't get that weekend to spend there Fraggle :( I hate missing games and although I'm sure it would be a good weekend, I can't see them keeping up those kinds of figures forever, they'll just become like Dewsbury. I also like the big atmospheres and UTC coming over last week did not sum up for me a big atmosphere!
If they stay up over the next few years I might have to quit my weekend job and taste what the matches are like over there though.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!