wnac v wnas

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
we_need_a_coach

Re: wnac v wnas

Post by we_need_a_coach »

DaveO posted:
we_need_a_coach posted:
:(
Sorry to seem a prude on this subject, but what on earth are you all talking about ?????
Usenet.

Dave
?????????
:eh:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

we_need_a_coach posted:
DaveO posted:
we_need_a_coach posted:
:(
Sorry to seem a prude on this subject, but what on earth are you all talking about ?????
Usenet.

Dave
?????????
:eh:
http://isp.webopedia.com/TERM/U/USENET.html

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

MrsLam posted:
I don't really get wound up easily so I laughed at him and then ignored him carrying on with my other conversation.
"Loserrr"
That's exactly the right thing to do!

Probably not part of your course, but it might be worth taking a look at the "history" of the internet/www/usenet; you'ld find it interesting, I think. Perhaps surprisingly, it goes back to the early 60's.
Don't think any of the current IT courses cover it that much, which is a pity.
Whenever I bring it into a lesson, the students seem interested (some even stay awake..).
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Never mentioned it to me when I was at Uni in '99 - I was studying "Computing" (which was basically programming). Would have much rather studied that than C++!

I think the idea of a code of practice is a nice one - my parents taught me a version of it when I was a kid - it was called Manners!

It looks as though we have a lot of IT people on here!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Matthew posted:

It looks as though we have a lot of IT people on here!
Without sounding like Peter Kay. It's the future!

I love the programming part of my course, never done it before and we've started with VB.Net but am hoping to learn more next year. I'd never heard of Usenet before, I'd just taken the internet for granted, on a it's there, there are no rules basis but I'd always wondered where these "IMO" type abbreviations had come from, I remember when I first ever got a computer I'd discovered how to make smilies with colons and brackets, don't know if that is related at all!
I've now finished Uni till September (hopefully won't have to do summer school!) but remind me and I'll ask Gary the fountain of all knowledge if he knows anything about it!
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
heydude

Post by heydude »

cheers found this a fascinating read,my studies have touched on the subject but never really gone deep into it so what i have read and the links that have been put in will come in useful.Thanks Geoffn,Mrs lam ,Daveo and fraggle. :)
don't eat yellow snow
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

heydude posted:
cheers found this a fascinating read,my studies have touched on the subject but never really gone deep into it so what i have read and the links that have been put in will come in useful.Thanks Geoffn,Mrs lam ,Daveo and fraggle. :)
They're geniouses(word?) this lot! I think I'll get extra tutoring online, sure we can sort summat out paypal anyone?!

It's also made me understand why when I first came on this board and used 'txtspk' as Fraggle likes to refer to it, they were all going mad at me! To be honest (Tbh), I didn't even use 'txtspk' when i was texting so I've no idea why I did it online where there's really no need. I find it really annoying now, that and WhEn PpL tLk LiKe ThIs ARGHHHHHH
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
heydude

Post by heydude »

so do i,i think textspeak is evil in a way it's dumbing down people because it's a easy way of spelling,just think it's destroying the english language.
don't eat yellow snow
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

MrsLam posted:
I love the programming part of my course, never done it before and we've started with VB.Net but am hoping to learn more next year.
Ah you youngsters! When I was at Uni I had to learn C which belive was not much fun! One lecturer said "C is as user friendly as a cornered rat!". Thankfully we went on to VB6 and databases later in the course!

If you want to earn lots of money Mrs Lam then learn as many languages as you can and learn how to tie them into as many database servers as you can - that's where the money is! (not that I'd know :( )[/quote]
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

heydude posted:
so do i,i think textspeak is evil in a way it's dumbing down people because it's a easy way of spelling,just think it's destroying the english language.
Txt is fair enough for using on a mobile phone, I think, because of not having a proper keyboard; it's when it spills over into places where it isn't necessary that it irritates me.
My kids hate me for constantly correcting their spelling, pointing out that if God had intended us to learn to spell, he wouldn't have given us "spellcheck".
(sigh)