Betts pressure

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
MrsLam

Betts pressure

Post by MrsLam »

http://www.wigantoday.net/ViewArticle2. ... ID=1028610

Looks like you are getting what you want WNAC. I think this would be a very sad way for him to go:(
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
mrs_carney

Re: Betts pressure

Post by mrs_carney »

As much as i want to see wigan doing well and think he will be replaced at the end of this season i dont want to see betts leave the club at all, he cant prevent injuries or faz leaving. I think we should find some way of keeping betts on at the club in some capacity although i cant see him being assistant coach becasue what was the need for farrar if thats the case, i agree MrsLam it will be sad if betts has to leave the club.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

MrsLam posted:

Looks like you are getting what you want WNAC. I think this would be a very sad way for him to go:(
I remember Graham West getting the coaches job at Wigan and thinking he had made a mistake because as Betts has said the only thing certain about a coaches job is that one day you will be sacked.

Well as we all know West was sacked and now drives a Taxi around Wigan.

Prior to being coach West was involved in the backroom running of the club and when I came across him on a couple of occaisions he was always very helpful and a great ambassador for the club. When he became coach I knew one day he would get the boot and thought he would have been better staying in the background as Dean Bell has done. I reckon he would still be at the club today had he done that.

But, and it is a big but, you can't knock either West or Betts for wanting to have a go at the top job. It is their choice and they know the risks and what is required of them. They know one day they will be replaced and so when Betts took this on he knew there was that possibility.

The circumstances he took the role on may not have been ideal with Mike Gregs illness basically landing him the job early in his coaching careeer but he could have said "No thanks!". He didn't, took the job and knows the consiquences of that decsion.

I reckon the article is correct. Lose the next two games and he wil be out because they are both four pointers.

Dave
meatpie2005

Post by meatpie2005 »

Gotta agree with Doug, get Millward in and allow Betts to stay on as an assistant. Either love him or hate him Millward could do a great job for us. I feel sorry for Betts cos of all the injuries we have had, its been a tough season. Lose next two games well yeah he will probably be fired off.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

MrsLam posted:

! thing worries me if Betts is given 2 more games then why is he still head coach. Either get someone in or leave him be. This happens time and again at Wigan we get rid of coaches after players know they are going and team looses games they should win.

MO should either back him or fire him and stop sitting on the fence. This is doing no one any good.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Mo is in australia obviously recruiting for next season whilst he's there. I think betts will either go when mo returns or he will stay until the end of the season. The hardest thing is the mike gregory situation, we cant fire him and get all the bad press but at the same time i dont think he'll be well enough to be our head coach again.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
heydude

Post by heydude »

Doug Stand posted:

Why was West let go???? He was the only coach to win the grand slam at the time, League, Challange Cup, Regal, Premiership, Lancashire Cup, Yorkshire Cup, BBC2 Floodlight, Wigan Sevens, European Champions League, Fairs Cup, Wimbledon, Tour De France and the mens pais bob sleigh.

Well I may have added a couple of extra ones in there...but why was he let go?
because he didn't win the FA cup or any of the numerous world boxing championships. :lol:
don't eat yellow snow
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

thegimble posted:
MrsLam posted:

! thing worries me if Betts is given 2 more games then why is he still head coach. Either get someone in or leave him be. This happens time and again at Wigan we get rid of coaches after players know they are going and team looses games they should win.

MO should either back him or fire him and stop sitting on the fence. This is doing no one any good.
Although, of course, this is newspaper speculation as much as anything that might have any factual source. Who knows, maybe the WEP writers all visit here and have been reading our tales of doom, gloom and the end of the world to use as the basis for their "news".
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
heydude

Post by heydude »

Fraggle posted:

Although, of course, this is newspaper speculation as much as anything that might have any factual source. Who knows, maybe the WEP writers all visit here and have been reading our tales of doom, gloom and the end of the world to use as the basis for their "news".
or WNAC has got a new job as writer for them or is IMO (WNAC speak) the source :D
don't eat yellow snow
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

heydude posted:
Fraggle posted:

or WNAC has got a new job as writer for them or is IMO (WNAC speak) the source :D
I e-mailed the club, mainly about that report, with much the same points i've been putting forward on here.

This is the reply I got:

"Hi Geoff

We are fully aware of the article, the context of which was written without input from the club . We have spoken to the journalist who we feel has been very unfair on Denis who everyone at the club is fully behind.

Graham Emmerson - Wigan Warriors Media Manager"

I'd have preferred them to use "whom" instead of "who", but I wouldn't want to seem pedantic...
:wink: