Back to the old school

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Doveoverdave

Re: Back to the old school

Post by Doveoverdave »

Doug Stand posted:
Doveoverdave posted:
We may not agree, but watch the tape of the Manly game at central park, that fantastic, memorable evening never to be forgotten and tell me that the game didn't need a couple of tries to really make it a classic.
Yeah that game did need a couple of tries. I totall agree with you there. Shame Hanley didn't quite make it after collecting a chip over the top by Edwards.

Speaking of try-less games I remember beating Bradford in 88 2-0 in the first round of the cup. Not the best game I had ever seen but I'd go back to those days tomorrow.

Not just because Wigan had all the sucess, I liked the 5m rule and I still think there should be scrums. The chip over the top was an art and with the 5m defence you had to be quick and precise. Gregory was a master at that.
Indeed Greg was a master :) :)

I liked the 5m rule as well.

1. The offsides were given immediately not this eon of advantage time then a penalty.

2.Best sub rule was 4 subs from a choice of 2. a) you could keep track of it and b)the team tired and attrition and fitness came to play more.

However it would be impossible to revert to this now IMO
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

MrsLam posted:
Not just because Wigan had all the sucess, I liked the 5m rule and I still think there should be scrums. The chip over the top was an art and with the 5m defence you had to be quick and precise. Gregory was a master at that.
Can you imaging ANY team in Superleague making any yards though? Play of the ball is very slow recently, the attack takes ages coming back into their line as does the defence, hardly any team is ever onside/square at the play of the ball and unfortunately Wigan would never make any yards from this rule. I think this goes back to something someone said before (sorry about vagueness of that sentence!) about lowering skills of teams 'these days'
Exactly my point Mrs L. Crikey I feel old all of a sudden. 5m rule? Before many peoples time. Mind you at least I don't have a clear memory of the four tackle rule. :conf:

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:
Mind you at least I don't have a clear memory of the four tackle rule.
Dave
But that was only introduced in the mid 60's...practically yesterday! Lasted till the early 70's, IIRC.
Unlimited tackles..."up the jumper" rugby (Hull were masters of it!)...you kids don't know what you missed!

:wink:
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

heydude posted:
waterside glens posted:
heydude posted:
are you doubting me waterside glen. :roll:
did you say doubting or outing :o
tell me waterside glens why are you so interested do you fancy a date. :wink: :lol:
sorry mrs.waterside would kill me ,i think? but if your about the red robin i,ll buy you a pint.