Young Player of the Year

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Young Player of the Year

Post by josie andrews »

George Williams wins Super League Young Player of the Year Award

Williams praises Wigan Club and Academy

’The Wigan Academy helped me to become the player that I am today’

George Williams has praised the Wigan Club after being named Super League Young Player of the Year.

A product of the Wigan Academy, Williams has enjoyed a fine year in the Cherry and White shirt making 31 appearances and scoring 7 tries.

Williams picked up the Young Player of the Year Award at the Man of Steel Awards in Manchester on Monday evening and was quick to thank the Club.

“I wouldn’t be here today but for the help and support I have received from people at this club,” a delighted Williams said.

“Having grown up in Wigan it was always my dream to play for the Club and the Wigan Academy helped me to become the player that I am today. I am still learning each and every day too and hope to keep improving year on year.”

The former Ince Rose Bridge Amateur also thanked people who have played key roles in his development.

“I’m really thankful to everyone who has played a part in my journey so far. There are so many people in our Academy who have helped me, such as John Winder, Matty Peet and the rest of the team.

“At First Team level, the players and coaching staff have been brilliant with me and have helped me establish myself in Super League. Off the field, our Chairman Ian Lenagan continues to build and invest in the best Academy in World Rugby and on behalf of the players at the Club I can’t thank him enough.”

Speaking on the award Chairman Ian Lenagan said:

“For George it is a great personal achievement and a tremendous achievement for all connected with the Wigan Club and Academy.

“Development of young players and heavy investment in the Academy and Scholarship has been at the core of my family’s ownership of the Wigan Club since 2007.

“The winning of this award along with the development of other young players this year such as Dom Manfredi, Ryan Sutton and Oliver Gildart shows the growing fruits of this investment and strategy.”

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2015- ... FBfbB8R.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Re: Young Player of the Year

Post by nathan_rugby »

Fully deserved.

Got a few things to work on in regards to silly passes and kicking too often when we have nothing on. But his defence, ability to attack the line and make full breaks/half breaks with offloads and cut out passes/hitting gaps is amazing for his age.

I see no reason why George can not go on to become one of the best players in the world. The same can be said for Burgess and Currie.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."