Re: Signings

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

I think we need a new three quarter and that reardon would be a good signing in that department as he can play vitually anywhere in that line.
New half backs would be good but i'd let coyle step up and not sign anybody new and then let orr, moran, brown and coyle play against each other and pick off form not reputation.
I think a new prop would be good as well although at the moment we have a four prop rotation but before we signed mcdonald guisset was playing up to 60minutes a week and now he's being taken off after 15mins which is wasting his talent on the bench.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Doug Stand posted:
OK we have Fletch and as I've posted on both threads I beleive this to be a good signing... but where else do we need strenthing...

I believe we need a centre, stand-off, scrum-half and a prop before we can start challanging again.
I don't think this can be fixed in one shopping trip so what do we do?

The good thing is that as long as they can get over their injuries, Hock and O'Loughlin will be like two new signings. We should have a decent back row with whataver combination next year...

but what about the rest... any thoughts lads & lasses?
We need at least 1 big impact forward. Mason or Morley.

Id give Orr until end of the season and if no improvement then we would need to change there as well.

If we do not get a impact player then we need 2 props. Korkidas would be an obvious one and Callyes would be the other.

Also we need a covering wing/cenre. We struggled there for a few months now. 1 option could be move Radlinski to Centre and bring Bristow back. OK we would have to buy himn back but that would sort the centres out.

Basically we either gut the team now or give the youngstere a few more years its an awkward one as we have decent youngsters comiung through.

1 thing i have realised is how much we miss O Loughlin and Hock. Its only when they are not there you realise how good they really are.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

next year we'll have:
radlinski, dallas, vaealiki, (aspinwall and carney maybe) orr, moran, seuseu, newton, godwin, guisset, tickle, hock, o'loughlin, fletcher, wild, hansen, brown, sculthorpe, melling, allen, colbon, beswick, coyle, prescott, hargreaves, tomkins
plus any more new signings or promoted academy players, other than carney and aspinwall i dont know of any others that have uncertain futures at wigan. Out of them you can make a half decent team but its lacking quite a bit of experience, especially in the three quarter line.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Doug Stand posted:
Out of all the centres around at the moment, the one I'd really like at Wigan is Martin Gleeson. He is a Wigan lad isn't it or have I got that wrong?
He is a wigan lad and i make no secret of wanting him at wigan even if it is at the expense of one of our players like carney or aspinwall, he is still reasonably young and is a fantastic player and he wanted to come to wigan in the first place so why not make the lads dream come true.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

spot on mrs.C gleeson would be one hell of a capture
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Doug Stand posted:
Out of all the centres around at the moment, the one I'd really like at Wigan is Martin Gleeson. He is a Wigan lad isn't it or have I got that wrong?
Unfortunately he's contracted to warrington until 2008.
thegimble postedWe need at least 1 big impact forward. Mason or Morley.

Id give Orr until end of the season and if no improvement then we would need to change there as well.

If we do not get a impact player then we need 2 props. Korkidas would be an obvious one and Callyes would be the other.
Definitely a prop. Mason and Cayless are out now, though, because we've filled our quota with Fletcher. Korkidas is contracted to Wakey until the end of next season.
If we want an "enforcer", Danny Lima's contract is up this year! Now that Newton seems to have calmed down, we need someone to give away lots of silly penalties and spend half the season suspended.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN posted:
Doug Stand posted:
And Farrell was contracted to Wigan until 2008 as well !!

Time for DW to show his loyalty. A fee of £400K to Wire ought to do it and that sort of cash is peanuts compared to what he is contemplating spending in the football.

Dave
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

DaveO posted:
GeoffN posted:
Doug Stand posted:

Time for DW to show his loyalty. A fee of £400K to Wire ought to do it and that sort of cash is peanuts compared to what he is contemplating spending in the football.

Dave

Did you miss a smiley face of this post? £400K you must be joking.

Gleeson is a good player but that sort of money buys ANYONE. Including Sonny Bill.

heydude

Post by heydude »

DaveO posted:
GeoffN posted:
Doug Stand posted:

Dave
only thing now is daveo warrington have a sugar daddy with big bucks too, so why would they take the money,they would have done in the past but now they have their own money behind them 400k might not even interest them.
don't eat yellow snow
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:
GeoffN posted:
Doug Stand posted:

Dave
IANAL (:wink:), but AFAIK transfer fees come into the salary cap equation. Also, there's a difference between selling a player to a rival SL club and letting him leave the sport. I don't think, for example, that we would have let Faz go to Saints or Leeds.