Supporting Betts!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
craigbeck

Supporting Betts!

Post by craigbeck »

I know this is going against the grain a little but I think Denis is coming up for some pretty unfair attacks.

He is a level headed guy who knows the game inside out, the players respect him and he respects the players.

He led a team of kids out to beat St Helens over the bank holiday and I remember the fans in the south stand bar shouting 'Denis Your The Man' as he walked out to present the players player award.

Lets face it : There is no manager in Super League that could lose his 5-6 best players and still stay at the top of the table.

I think Denis will end up being one of the best managers in the business, possibly within a short period of time. So I think we should make some noise and show him some support tonight!!!

Craig
:conf:

http://www.rockfm.co.uk
Sponsor Of Wigan Warriors
silver surfer

Re: Supporting Betts!

Post by silver surfer »

Lets face it : There is no manager in Super League that could lose his 5-6 best players and still stay at the top of the table.
I agree, changing the coach won't change the team he has to work with.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

craigbeck posted:
I know this is going against the grain a little but I think Denis is coming up for some pretty unfair attacks.
He isn't being "attacked" he is being critisised. It goes with the territory.
He is a level headed guy who knows the game inside out, the players respect him and he respects the players.
I think both those points are open to debate. Good players don't necessarily make good coaches and while he is undoubtedly respected as a former player that doesn't automatically translate into respect as a coach.
He led a team of kids out to beat St Helens over the bank holiday and I remember the fans in the south stand bar shouting 'Denis Your The Man' as he walked out to present the players player award.
One win doesn't make a super league season. Had the team carried on with the same level of performance then no one would be complaining. They didn't and that is his problem to sort out.
I think people are pretty realistic about what the squad is capaable of and don't expect miracles but as I have been saying all along the squad ought to be going better than it is. Tonight he will have his best squad he is going to have available this season. They have to play well or he will be under real pressure.
I think Denis will end up being one of the best managers in the business, possibly within a short period of time. So I think we should make some noise and show him some support tonight!!!
Whether he ends up one of the best coaches or not is not the issue. Wigan ought not to be in the position of having an apprentice coach running the first team. It is no use saying it his not his fault he is having to learn on the job because he didn't have to take the job on in the first place. He could have said no, I am not ready and want to remain assistant coach but he didn't and so he must deliver the goods just like any coach in any team. The buck stops with him if the team continues to under perform.

I am looking forward to tonigh and expect a good performance and a win following on from last weeks improved showing. Anything less and I will be bitterly disapointed and will expect the club to do something about it.

Dave
Welski

Post by Welski »

Top level sport is an unforgiving environment particularly for the manager/coach. With very few exceptions the one certainty is the sack in one form or another.

Most of the battle for any coach is gaining the respect of the players - as a coach. That is why there is such a high failure rate of guys that step straight from playing to full time head coach. DB as a Wigan playing legend was a superb choice as assistant coach. It would have given him time to learn the ropes and distance himself from his former teammates sufficiently so that when/if he finally did take over he would be able to make the difficult choices without the repercussions affecting general team morale. If the fans are making comments about him picking former 'mates' ahead of more in form players, are the players themselves having similar thoughts? Whatever it is even with the injuries that have made life very difficult it has to be said there seems something amiss with the way we are playing.

Its all apparently come a little too soon for him and a difficult job has seemingly been made impossible by the injury list. I HOPE I'm wrong!
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
botica

Post by botica »

As i've said before. Denis was thrust early into the fray and fair or unfair he cannot help what he has on the field. Many of the players are feeling unrest too having to carry on regardless in the situation. the cash is there but who is out of contract?? Nobody worth anything.
Denis took the assistant role on to learn the ropes, he then had to take over at very little notice and fair play he did well. If at the point of appointing a head coach he had been replaced all of you slateing the lad now would have been in uproar. Grow up you lot and see past the results and see who really is to blame.I think its ML. The past is catching us up now selling all the great talent we had on the bench, Robinson,etc. Thats not Denis's fault at all.....
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010
mario

Post by mario »

No point in not keeeping Betts till at least the end of the season! If is is going to be a great coach,then he'll have learnt more from having to cope with everything he has this season than he would have cruising to victories with a full Squad.
Nobody could have us in a better position with what weve had to deal with.
There is a lot on here think that Millward would be our saviour,but Saints finished 5th last season. They had the benefit of a full Squad for over half the season and for the rest of the season only missed 2 players.
Millward didn't manage to coach a stronger Squad than Denis has had this season.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

botica posted:
If at the point of appointing a head coach he had been replaced all of you slateing the lad now would have been in uproar.
Saints didn't promote Dave Rotherham to head coach just because they sacked Millward. They appointed a new coach leaving Rotherham as assitant.

Had Wigan done the same sort of thing with Betts no one would have batted an eye lid and would have been saying how good it oould be for Betts to learn off Chris Anderson or whoever.
Grow up you lot and see past the results and see who really is to blame.I think its ML. The past is catching us up now selling all the great talent we had on the bench, Robinson,etc. Thats not Denis's fault at all.....
For the umpteenth time despite all ML's failings the team Betts has actually got isn't playing as well as it should be. That is the problem.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

mario posted:
No point in not keeeping Betts till at least the end of the season! If is is going to be a great coach,then he'll have learnt more from having to cope with everything he has this season than he would have cruising to victories with a full Squad.
If it starts to look likely Wigan will fail to get into the playoffs or worse that we end up in a relegation dog fight you won't have anyone waiting around to see how much of a useful learning curve this is for Betts. You can't muck around when the consquences could be pretty dire. You have to try and stop the rot and that may well mean getting in a new coach.

Nobody could have us in a better position with what weve had to deal with.
Same old argument. So why do we need a coach at all? Are you seriously suggesting a different coach could not have got better performances out of the squad we have?

You are looking at it from one angle only. That of a depleted squad and have comnvinced yourself that is the only reason we are where we are.

You can't seem to take on board the idea that the actual squad is capable of better play.
There is a lot on here think that Millward would be our saviour,but Saints finished 5th last season. They had the benefit of a full Squad for over half the season and for the rest of the season only missed 2 players.
Millward didn't manage to coach a stronger Squad than Denis has had this season.
This isn't about Millward but about Betts. If Millward isn't the answer it doesn't mean someone else isn't capable of doing better with the squad that we have.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

silver surfer posted:
I agree, changing the coach won't change the team he has to work with.
No, but it can make the team he has to work with play better!

Dave
TomThumb

Post by TomThumb »

We look unorganised and lacking ideas in attack and this is the main reason why were losing matches. I would like to see moran and orr play a few more matches together before the decision to get rid of betts is taken. I noticed at warrington last week with danny orr playing that we seemed alot more organised and hopefully if we get our attack sorted I can see a great improvemnt in confidence and attitude.
:eusa10: