Next season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Next season

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

cpwigan wrote:
up the junction wrote:What is the obsession with Hampshire ??? Ok he was a good junior halfback with George ,so was Powell who imo would be a better option at 7 with George staying at 6 where he has made his mark .Ryan Hampshire for me has not taken the Bull by the horns and thinks himself to be better than he actually is with a given right to be a Wigan first team player (if the mutterings on these forums are true re. his saying he wants to leave if not given the chance)..
Maybe Waney also thinks this is the case ,because im sure he knows better than the experts on here .
Let me see; George was a fantastic junior halfback and converts into a superb first team half back. Likewise, as is Rocky. Just imagine, 2 superb first team halfbacks with a decade to offer. Tad like Leeds once had.

Of course that does not suit your view.
Powell is too bulky and has lost speed so his days as a half back have gone.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

Let me see; George was a fantastic junior halfback and converts into a superb first team half back. Likewise, as is Rocky. Just imagine, 2 superb first team halfbacks with a decade to offer. Tad like Leeds once had.

Should that not read " as was Rocky " as he is no longer a junior or a superb first team halfback? Rocky had numerous chances to shine and in my opinion didnt grab the bull by the horns wether it be in an alien position or not .Numerous players over the years have said that they would be willing to play out of position to hold down a first team place but Hampshire has spat the dummy out making it clear he isnt yet ready or mature enough, a year on loan maybe on a monthly arrangement playing regular and maturing as a player would do him no harm at all ,even bringing him back early if he starts to shine .I don't want any of our fringe players to fail , only for them to shine for our Club once they are deemed ready and good enough, and this is where we desperately need an A team league.
menpond

Post by menpond »

There is ridiculous pumping up some of our promising juniors. Brilliant prospects fall away for all sort of reasons,though we should try everytrick in the book to get Hampshire up to scratch. Carrots and sticks. The overhype on Gildard ,ticking another box blah blah is worse. Lets hope he succeeds in whatever position he ends up at. Note would play him off bench next year to cover all positions outside the pack.
mp
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

up the junction wrote:

Should that not read " as was Rocky " as he is no longer a junior or a superb first team halfback? Rocky had numerous chances to shine and in my opinion didnt grab the bull by the horns wether it be in an alien position or not .Numerous players over the years have said that they would be willing to play out of position to hold down a first team place but Hampshire has spat the dummy out making it clear he isnt yet ready or mature enough, a year on loan maybe on a monthly arrangement playing regular and maturing as a player would do him no harm at all ,even bringing him back early if he starts to shine .I don't want any of our fringe players to fail , only for them to shine for our Club once they are deemed ready and good enough, and this is where we desperately need an A team league.
As yet nobody is aware whether or not Rocky spat his dummy out. To be honest, indications would say otherwise as Wane could have shunted him. Likewise, other top SL are desperate to sign Rocky. So lets knock that rumour on the head.

We then see George was given the chance in his natural position as a half back and has not looked back. Rocky was given a chance in an alien position; full back and did so well that he kept out a legendary NRL / former international full back for what a dozen games. Now if that is not taking your chance, DO EXPLAIN WHAT IS!

Pure conjecture but I think Wigan / Wane until Sam decided to return were thinking we need a fullback more than a halfback and Rocky might be out best fit to convert. Sam has returned so you can now look at other options.

George arguably outshone Matty Smith this season. No reason why Rocky could not do so in 2016 (albeit sadly I believe he will be on loan in 2016). The club have been scratching their heads about the inconsistency / poor form of Matty but are seemingly scared of two youthful halfbacks. Well to be honest, the GF proved without a shadow of a doubt that experience and decision making / game management are not linked in this current Wigan squad.

Oh before people say but Sam played fullback. NO, he played 50 games as a half and then converted to a full back!

Do we want mediocrity in Matty for what the next 3 years or go for a decade brilliant halfback partnership in George and Rocky. I know which makes sense to me.

I would even consider letting Smith go after 2016 and give Sharrock opportunities to pressurise George and Rocky.
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

CpWigan wrote. We then see George was given the chance in his natural position as a half back and has not looked back. Rocky was given a chance in an alien position; full back and did so well that he kept out a legendary NRL / former international full back for what a dozen games. Now if that is not taking your chance, DO EXPLAIN WHAT IS!
He didn't take his chance ,his defence in numerous games was shocking ,leading to him being dropped for the return of Bowen who coached him in the plays of a fullback whilst himself was out of favour because of poor performance.Rocky should have seized the day and kept Bowen out for the rest of the season but didn't.Is that explained enough ?
Oh by the way it was Nine games not a dozen,I thought someone of your superior knowledge would have known that :wink:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

up the junction wrote:CpWigan wrote. We then see George was given the chance in his natural position as a half back and has not looked back. Rocky was given a chance in an alien position; full back and did so well that he kept out a legendary NRL / former international full back for what a dozen games. Now if that is not taking your chance, DO EXPLAIN WHAT IS!
He didn't take his chance ,his defence in numerous games was shocking ,leading to him being dropped for the return of Bowen who coached him in the plays of a fullback whilst himself was out of favour because of poor performance.Rocky should have seized the day and kept Bowen out for the rest of the season but didn't.Is that explained enough ?
Oh by the way it was Nine games not a dozen,I thought someone of your superior knowledge would have known that :wink:
A rookie was good enough to keep Bowen out for however many games. Probably more games than George would have got if Blake Green had still been here in 2015. So for either Rocky or George to push Matty Bowen or Blake Green out deserves some credit particularly in an alien position. An alien position where he made some errors in defence. Oddly so did Matty thereafter but I have yet to see you acknowledge Matty was shaky on defence because it does not suit your negative stance towards a young player, playing in a totally new position. So a veteran fullback makes similar mistakes yet you keep quiet :wink:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

You are going to have to provide some credible arguments because at the moment the hole you keep digging is getting too deep for an 8ft man to get out!
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

With all the rumours around about Hampshire going on loan and probably to Cas then they can't all be wrong surely?

It looks like we'l again have Williams and Smith half backs with Powell as back up.

I think the team will line up as

S Tomkins,
Manfredi, Gelling Bateman, Charnley.
Gildart reserve centre, Tierney reserve full back/wing.
This also depends on Sarginson's return.

Williams, Smith (Powell as back up half back and 9)

Crosby, McIlorum, Flower, Farrell, J Tomkins, O'Loughlin.
Mossop, Clubb, Tautai, Sutton, Isa, Burke,

Waney may give the newly promoted lads a game or 3 at the most but the main squad will be from those 22 I reckon.

Next season will depend on how we overcome the problems of oppositions having sussed out our game plan/tactics.
Attention has to be given to the MM interchage. We lose intensity, initiative and away from home usually the game, especially after repeating the mistake again in the 2nd half. The bench player must no longer go into dh straight cold when he's not up to the pace of the game.

For a trophy winning season quite a few changes must be made if the improvement required is to be achieved.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

cpwigan wrote:You are going to have to provide some credible arguments because at the moment the hole you keep digging is getting too deep for an 8ft man to get out!
I don't think he was digging a hole. Bowen was poor and got dropped. Hampshire was poor and got dropped. Hampshire didn't take his opportunity at full back. Sounds simple to me. We just had to swap in and out two underperforming players at FB, neither held down the position well.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Very simple Mike he was trying to make a damning verdict on a young player not playing in his natural position, who managed to retain that spot for several games. George Williams has shown if you persevere and show a little faith it is possible for young players to get better and better and offer more than an established player. Yet, he was happy to write somebody off with no credible arguments.