Tierney counting down the days

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Tierney counting down the days

Post by josie andrews »

LEWIS Tierney is counting the days until he can play again after a five-month spell without a game – despite being fully fit.

The utility back hasn’t played a match at any level since last July.
The opportunity is there and I’m getting head down and doing what I can in training and got to take it into the games.
Lewis Tierney
He fell victim to harsh rules governing dual-registrations – preventing week-to-week ‘loan’ arrangements from the start of the Super 8s.

And because he was too old for the Under-19s, he was left kicking his heels in frustration.

“It’s been a while,” he said. “It was the end of July when they had that cut off, so it’s good to get back in knowing the system’s changing and (my prospects are) looking a lot brighter.”

The planned creation of a new reserve competition should prevent players being left in limbo again.

But Tierney is also expected to be much more involved in the first-team set-up in 2016 following the departure of winger Joe Burgess, who has not been replaced.

“It depends on me now,” said the academy product. “The opportunity is there and I’m getting my head down and doing what I can in training and got to take it into the games.”

The 21-year-old will start the year as third-choice winger behind Josh Charnley and Dom Manfredi, although he is also in the running, along with centre Dan Sarginson, to cover at full-back until Sam Tomkins is fit around Easter.

“The pecking order doesn’t mean much with Shaun Wane, he’s said to everyone, if you’re playing well it doesn’t matter what squad number you are,” added Tierney, who played once in the last two seasons and three games in the double-winning 2013 campaign.

“I really don’t care where I play, wing, full-back... I’m comfortable anywhere.”

Team-mate Ben Flower has been impressed with the way he has grabbed his chance.

“Fair play to Lewis, he’s worked really hard and Waney has believed in him and he’s getting a fresh start,” said the Welsh prop.

“Hopefully he’ll impress and add to the competition.”

Meanwhile, ex-England winger Charnley says boxing training in the off-season has left him better prepared to make his mark in 2016.

“When you’re in the ring you are totally on your own,” he told League Weekly.

“If you are in a hole there is only you who can get yourself out of it so it teaches you to be mentally strong. I think it has really helped me.”

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-7624926
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Panchitta Marra

Re: Tierney counting down the days

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Not watched him play, but with comments from Workington fans who have, could suggest he will struggle at Superleague level.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

This reminds me of when Wane picked Murphy to play in a play off semi-final v Leeds.

Chucked in at the deep end. Didn't work.

Has Wane really convinced himself Tierney can do the job?

It's one thing showing faith in young players but this seems as mad as playing Murphy in that semi-final.

Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Yes I remember that well Dave, the only cover we had for ST and deja vu strikes again. He may well do ok but I've been led to believe the same as PM by the same source, Workington fans.
Time will tell but dumb decisions never seem to change!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Panchitta Marra

DaveO wrote:This reminds me of when Wane picked Murphy to play in a play off semi-final v Leeds.

It's one thing showing faith in young players but this seems as mad as playing Murphy in that semi-final.
Workington Town fans say that Murphy has been a much better player for them than Tierney, for the games Tierney has played full back. They wouldn't swap players if it was offered.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

DaveO wrote:This reminds me of when Wane picked Murphy to play in a play off semi-final v Leeds.

Jack was treated shamefully IMO. His only previous game that season was at home where he was the only decent player when we were humiliated by Bradford.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Panchitta Marra wrote:

Workington Town fans say that Murphy has been a much better player for them than Tierney, for the games Tierney has played full back. They wouldn't swap players if it was offered.
Seeing that Murphy is a permanent player at Workington and Tierney was only there on loan, it is only natural for some supporters to try and make out that they have the better player.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Kittwazzer wrote:

Jack was treated shamefully IMO. His only previous game that season was at home where he was the only decent player when we were humiliated by Bradford.
I agree with you Kitt, then they throw him in at the deep end, without snorkel & flippers, in one of the biggest games of the season! He misses a high swirling bomb, which more seasoned full backs would have struggled with, & is the only one who gets the blame!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Panchitta Marra

Whelley Warrior wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:

Seeing that Murphy is a permanent player at Workington and Tierney was only there on loan, it is only natural for some supporters to try and make out that they have the better player.
That's most of them, and knowing them the way I do, I would suggest that isn't the case. Jack Murphy has also been playing really well for Workington.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Murphy did drop that high bomb which gave Leeds possession.
They won the game from a penalty given away by Farrell for being a mile offside when defending his own line.

A lot was said about Murphy and our loss in that game. Can't remeber too much being said about Farrell and his role in the defeat.