Goulding Returns Home

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Goulding Returns Home

Post by josie andrews »

Double Super League Grand Final winner Darrell Goulding returns to Wigan to join Club’s coaching staff

Goulding comes in as Youth Development Coach for the departing Jordan James

“This Club will always feel like home and I’m glad to be back.” Darell Goulding

Wigan Warriors have today confirmed that former player Darrell Goulding has rejoined the Club to take up a coaching position.

Darrell Goulding played 175 times for his hometown Club between 2005 and 2014, scoring 72 tries. A former Wigan St Patrick’s amateur, he also played in both the 2010 and 2013 Super League Grand Final successes. Darrell left the Wigan Club at the end of 2014 but was forced to retire in June last year after a series of concussion injuries.

He takes up the position of Youth Development Coach vacated by Jordan James who recently left the Club.

Jordan has coached at the Wigan Club for the past two years combining coaching duties with playing for the First Team during the 2014 season before his retirement.

Rugby Director Kris Radlinski said:

“Firstly I would like to thank Jordan for all of his hard work. This past year he has made the difficult transition from full-time player to the workplace look very easy. He has worked tirelessly to better himself and he leaves with the respect and best wishes of everyone at the Wigan Club.

image: http://www.wiganwarriors.com/admin/reso ... 360@2x.jpg

“Speaking of respect, Darrell Goulding has it in abundance. We all watched him develop from a boy into a fine international Rugby League player and now it is his turn to give back. Our young players will not find a better role model than Darrell.

“He will be mentored by Matt Peet, who leads our Youth Programme so well. We will give Darrell the support he needs to develop into a fine coach. We are disappointed to see Jordan leave but thrilled to see Darrell return.”

Jordan James said:

“It is with great regret that I leave Wigan Warriors but I feel that it is the right time in my life for a new challenge away from Rugby League.

“I would personally like to thank Ian Lenagan, Kris Radlinski and Shaun Wane for believing in me and bringing me to the best club in Super League so late in my career.

“I enjoyed a fantastic year playing and two great years working with the next crop of young Wigan stars under the guidance of Matty Peet to whom I owe a lot for making the switch from playing to coaching an easy transition.

“I wish Wigan Warriors all the best for the forthcoming season and hope to see some of the talent I helped nurture progress through on to the big stage, I leave the Club with fond memories and mates for life.”

Darrell Goulding said:

“I am honoured to be returning to Wigan Rugby League in my new role and look forward to developing the future players of this great Club.

“The Wigan Club is always progressing and I am grateful to have this opportunity to be part of the special times that are ahead. I have much to learn but feel that this is the best possible environment to do so and can’t wait to get started. This Club will always feel like home and I’m glad to be back.”

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2015- ... MGKv8mf.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
gillysmyhero

Re: Goulding Returns Home

Post by gillysmyhero »

Just wondering why Jordan James left the coaching side of the club and what he's doing now ? Any ideas anyone
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Jobs for the boys i see, who will be back next, Martin Aspinwall, Rickey Bibey?
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

And why not?? A players working life is short enough without being curtailed by injury. If the club can employ a few players after they have had to give up playing all the better. Remember with the salary cap rules the wages earned by the entire squad in 8 years won't be as much as Rooney in one year. We could of course play a 'pension' to players as soon as their career finishes and pay them less in their playing days as a cunning way of keeping within the official salary cap and be able to have more 'stars' in the team but of course no team would do that Ronnie.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Welcome back, Darrell.

And well done to the club for employing him.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Was this not a position many saw Lockers taking up, or is he destined for a higher coaching position at Wigan.
Don't want to see Lockers tempted away by better ulterior offers elsewhere.
OJ

Post by OJ »

Yes, welcome back Darrell, sorry you ever left in the first place.
Can you make your first task getting to grips with Anthony Gelling and Dan Sarginson and drumming into them that it's a great idea to pass the ball to your winger if you happen to be playing centre. Cheers
Bit surprised at Jordan James leaving for a career outside rugby league but if that's what he wants then good luck to him
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.