bye bye betts

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: bye bye betts

Post by DaveO »

robjoenz posted:
DaveO posted:
Instead of telling us how other coaches are doing offer an opinion on Betts. Do you think he is a good coach? If so why?

I don't want another post "he can only work with what he has got, blah, blah". I want to know what you think HE can do to get things sorted out.

Dave
What do you reckon a different coach could do better than Betts?
Motivate the team, instill some new tactics, come in without any baggage by which I mean start with a clean sheet and do something like have Orr as captain instead of basing his choice seemingly on how long you have been a Wigan player.

He could also make better use of the props and subs bench.

Basically all the tings that Betts isn't doing well or won't do.

Betts could do all the things a new coach would do but I don't think he will do it. I don't think Betts will take the necessary action of having a different captain for example and I do think he will keep plugging away with his naive interchange policy.

Dave
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

DaveO posted:

start with a clean sheet and do something like have Orr as captain instead of basing his choice seemingly on how long you have been a Wigan player.

He could also make better use of the props and subs bench.

Dave
Basic flaw in your argument here DaveO is that a Captain has to be on the field, Danny Orr over the last season and a half has been missing more than anybody else other than Carney.
I do agree with your prop comments, see what I said about dropping Guisset back into his proper position in the second row after 20/25 minutes if he wants a new prop on
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

The tactics are OK, it's the execution that's at fault. If a SL coach has to teach players the basics of catching, tackling, passing and kicking, then they shouldn't be playing.
I don't think the team and subs selected were much different from the ones selected by people on here, apart from the non-inclusion of Allen, and one player wouldn't have made much difference last night!
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

GeoffN posted:
The tactics are OK, it's the execution that's at fault. If a SL coach has to teach players the basics of catching, tackling, passing and kicking, then they shouldn't be playing.
I don't think the team and subs selected were much different from the ones selected by people on here, apart from the non-inclusion of Allen, and one player wouldn't have made much difference last night!
So are you saying there is nothing we can do but sit tight and see where we finish?
The tactics are OK, it's the execution that's at fault.
GeoffN, something regarding the coach must be at fault!! They had their half time talk and came out like a new team, we had ours and came out kack pie!!

Re team selection you are quite right - the team picks itself. It's what the coach extracts from the chosen players that matters!!
SiY

Post by SiY »

Doveoverdave posted:
mike binder posted:
spud posted:
time to step up & admitt he's not cut out for it.
get ian millward in & sell off the dead wood
what dead wood :doz:
For me you can start at 1 thru 17 of last night's lot :(
Well for me i thought some of the players played well. Like Radlinski, Dallas and Tickle. These players turn up week in and week out and work hard. Dallas is by far our most consistant player and hard worker. If we had a team of Dallas's we would do well because he does a damn sight more work then the forwards and gains more yards. I feel sorry for him not getting any recognition.
mario

Post by mario »

!
DaveO posted:
mario posted:
spud posted:
Just watched Canterbury win only their 3rd game this season. They have lost 6 out of 9. Current form suggest that Folkes is not up to the job,but previous seasons suggest otherwise.
He has far more experienced top quality players available than Betts has,but with a few injuries they are struggling.
Why do you want Millward? Saints finished 5th last season. They had the benefit of a full Squad for over half the season and for the rest of the season only missed 2 players.
Millward didn't manage to coach a stronger Squad than Denis has had this season.
You keep going on about how other coaches are doing or have done at other clubs.

It is just NOT RELEVENT.

I don't give a toss about how Folkes is going at the Bulldogs or how Millward did at Saints.

What is important is how Betts is doing at Wigan.

If he isn't up to the job he has to go.

Instead of telling us how other coaches are doing offer an opinion on Betts. Do you think he is a good coach? If so why?

I don't want another post "he can only work with what he has got, blah, blah". I want to know what you think HE can do to get things sorted out.

Dave
Of course it's relevent!
Millward is one of the coachs wanted by a lot on this message board and the other one is Anderson who took Cronnulla to the bottom of the NRL.
If they can't do it with weakened squads elsewhere, what makes people think they're going to be the saviour at Wigan.
As for Betts, he's learning and i'm pretty sure in our situation that there is'nt a coach anywhere that can prove how good they are at Wigan!Everybody seemed happy with Betts last season when everything was going well.Nobody can argue that he has had one hell of a rough deal this season. I think a little loyalty would'nt go amiss.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

El Rifle posted:
mario posted:
spud posted:
Just watched Canterbury win only their 3rd game this season. They have lost 6 out of 9. Current form suggest that Folkes is not up to the job,but previous seasons suggest otherwise.
He has far more experienced top quality players available than Betts has,but with a few injuries they are struggling.
Why do you want Millward? Saints finished 5th last season. They had the benefit of a full Squad for over half the season and for the rest of the season only missed 2 players.
Millward didn't manage to coach a stronger Squad than Denis has had this season.
Saints squad was pretty crap last season.... no long/gleeson and injury problems for sculthorpe, a rubbish pack - yes they only finished 5th but they sure didnt look like finishing 8th or 9th
....and they won the cup :conf:
mario

Post by mario »

[/quote]

....and they won the cup :conf: [/quote]
In may! With a full squad!
heydude

Post by heydude »

just read this looks like millward coming to ushttp://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 570497.stm
don't eat yellow snow
spud

Post by spud »

well it was inevitable. for those of you old enough to remember Alex Murphy coaching us?? he started something good in the 80's that Ian can also do. lets hope Betts can learn.
bring on cardiff