bye bye betts

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: bye bye betts

Post by DaveO »

mario posted:
Of course it's relevent!
Millward is one of the coachs wanted by a lot on this message board and the other one is Anderson who took Cronnulla to the bottom of the NRL.
If they can't do it with weakened squads elsewhere, what makes people think they're going to be the saviour at Wigan.
As for Betts, he's learning and i'm pretty sure in our situation that there is'nt a coach anywhere that can prove how good they are at Wigan!Everybody seemed happy with Betts last season when everything was going well.Nobody can argue that he has had one hell of a rough deal this season. I think a little loyalty would'nt go amiss.
Well as we all know Millward has been appointed and we will have to see how it will pan out.

What I would say is that you picked on a very brief period in Millwards reign at Saints to base your argument on. If Millwards success and Denis failure are down to the capabilites of their respective squads then we don't need coaches at all. They don't make any difference one way or the other obviously.

As to loyalty and Betts learning curve that dooesn't really answer the questions I put about his ability does it?

I definately think something needed to be done as I don't think he was up to the job.

In fact I am not sure the club have done Denis much of a favour appointing him as coach and I would go as far to say keeping him on may not do him any favours either.

I refer you to this link about Dean Sampson.

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... mpson.html

If you read it you will see the Cas club think it a good idea he spends some time away from the club. I think the same is true for Denis and that it would do him some good.

Don't forget Denis ended up as a caoch so he could hang his boots up to come off the salary cap and ended up as acting head coach because of Mikes illness.

He has just not had any apprenticship in a lower league or long enough as assistant at Wigan.

Had he been sacked today then that would have been the end of his career but I think if in say about 12 to 18 months time if a suitanble appointment came up elsewhere he should take it.

In the meantime I hope he can work with Millward satisfactoraly and his ego hasn't been dented too much.

Dave
GazzL82

Post by GazzL82 »

Like Orr, Moron, Carney and Vaealiki to begin with.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

GazzL82 posted:
Like Orr, Moron, Carney and Vaealiki to begin with.
Eh? Who are you replying to and about what?

Dave
GazzL82

Post by GazzL82 »

Sorry, should have said, my nominations for "dead wood" were Orr, Moron, Carney and Vaealiki.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

GazzL82 posted:
Sorry, should have said, my nominations for "dead wood" were Orr, Moron, Carney and Vaealiki.
When Orr went off on Friday. We lost shape and the ability to hold the ball. We only really miss Orr when he is not three. Fot the first 25 min we looked a top 6 side after then we looked out of the top 6 and that was before the second half disaster happened.
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

I agree that we looked a top thre side for the half hour we looked a top four side,although i think that Orr has looked ordinary since his move from Cas we do have a btter shape with him in and fit but how often is that. I dont blame Dennis for the problems this season the board have lost th plot. Read Jasons autobiography he didnt intnd to leave our club until he was offered a worse contract than he was on and was improving {If that was possible}. Just watching him now for england RU makes me shake my head. Look at it like this Aspinwall or Robinson which would you want?
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

We only really miss Orr when he is not three.
:D :D
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

damien morrissey posted:

Orr has looked ordinary since his move from Cas
Orr looked ordinary at Cas! His signing on a 4 yr contract was a poor move. I thought Tony Smith was never good enough but even he was twice the player Orr is.