Pre-season publicity

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
AncientWarrior

Pre-season publicity

Post by AncientWarrior »

Is it just me or is anyone else alarmed at the dearth of publicity at this time - one week shy of the start of the new season? Sky Sports News has given prominence to some drunken Aussie player who has simulated a sex act with a dog (where have I heard that before) but no positive publicity to next week. Even the prospect of a new netball season attracts more advertising!
What are these people at Red Hall doing?
They should be bombarding the media with RL stories. Apart from the faithful, who else can't wait for the season to start? We are being left far behind other sports in terms of media coverage and it's our own fault.
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

medlocke

Re: Pre-season publicity

Post by medlocke »

Only thing i've seen(twice) was Ryan Hall running on a piss poor day with his hood up, very boring stuff indeed
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Rugby Yawnion again well publicising their forthcoming 6 nations matches which just happens to be when the SL season starts.
Strong rumour that yawnion intend to play games on Friday evenings.
Challenge Cup now in Yawnion.
Could never see this coming, well the RFL didn't, or have they chose to ignore it's significance.
THE RFL just sit back and do nothing to promote the sport and it's a disgrace.
SJ

Post by SJ »

Whilst I agree with PM and Meds the Sporting media are anti RL. Perhaps the Pro RL Politicians should be harassed by the RFL on the matter
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

SJ wrote:Whilst I agree with PM and Meds the Sporting media are anti RL. Perhaps the Pro RL Politicians should be harassed by the RFL on the matter
Rugby League has to get its own act together SL, and with that comes the fight against all the anti.
THE very recent past couldn't have been a better opportunity with the diabolical England Rugby performances in their world cup and then England RL winning a tri-series against the world's no1 team.
If the RFL cannot promote, or should it be said, be prepared to promote off the strength of this, then what chance does the sport have.
Very little has been broadcast about the coming SL season start, one that should have been a big lift off the back of the tri-series win. Even just to rub up the lack of success by the British union teams. A big opportunity missed for me.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

You can have the best publicity department in the sporting world, but if the national media and Sky television are more interested in the team games of Cricket especially with its one day 'big bash' games, Union with its European Competitions/International scene and especially Football with its all star big money Premiership and Eurpean/World competitions, What chance has Rugby League got when it is now not even attracting the star players at their peak from both down under and Union like it use to do?

We are now regared as a minority sport in the eyes of the sporting media and time that some supporters faced the fact.

SJ

Post by SJ »

I hear what you say and would agree but as WW says and I was implying the RFL are in an impossible position. The very fact that RU flopped and we didn't ensures our inability to promote our game because of Unions vested interests in the very agencies we need to facilitate promotion of RL. If you get my drift WW is spot on
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Whelley Warrior wrote:You can have the best publicity department in the sporting world, but if the national media and Sky television are more interested in the team games of Cricket especially with its one day 'big bash' games, Union with its European Competitions/International scene and especially Football with its all star big money Premiership and Eurpean/World competitions, What chance has Rugby League got when it is now not even attracting the star players at their peak from both down under and Union like it use to do?

We are now regared as a minority sport in the eyes of the sporting media and time that some supporters faced the fact.

Yes, we know our place WW. Certainly the ru authorities would like us to know exactly that!! And so lets retreat into our hidden bushel.
SJ

Post by SJ »

So what do you propose seeing we've been trying for the last 100 Years. Look forward to your remedy,suggestion,ideas etc
AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

SJ wrote:So what do you propose seeing we've been trying for the last 100 Years. Look forward to your remedy,suggestion,ideas etc
My first priority would be to recruit the best press / publicity / marketing professionals. Who can forget the positive and effective influence of Sally Bolton at the last World Cup? Incidentally, she has progressed to bigger things since then. See the article at:
http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/ ... mpionships

Secondly, I feel each club should have an ongoing responsibility to promote themselves. In Wigan's case, we had Kris Radlinski's Blog. What an insight did that provide for all fans putting a face and personality to players and staff. This would IMO provide an effective link with the club and press. In other words, we shouldn't be afraid of any publicity.

These off the top of my head. Perhaps others may have more (and the more the merrier) ideas?
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.