Goal kicker

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Goal kicker

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Is Matty Smith the right person for the job? Will it affect his game? Did it impact on his performances last season? Will it become our Achilles heel?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
markill

Re: Goal kicker

Post by markill »

With no obvious 80%+ kicker it will be an issue as it has been for two years. I'm not sure if Smith will be the kicker, has he been named first choice?
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Maverickpils

Post by Maverickpils »

I think it's fair to say, and Matty's admitted it himself, that if we had anyone better they would be in role.

Time will tell, and I don't think we have any better replacements available this year so far!
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

i wonder if there is anyone else,
Matty Bowen seemed to come out of nowhere on the kicking from last season, surely they can see if anyone else can in training?

to be Fair on Smith he was on par with all but the top 3 kickers last season, sadly Wigan need a Top 3 kicker as in these tight games it can be the difference.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

I think it is a huge issue!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

It beggars belief that a top club goes into the season without a recognised goalkicker, Smith lost the job last season Bowen yet is being given the role again.Very poor management imo.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Is Matty Smith the right person for the job? Will it affect his game? Did it impact on his performances last season? Will it become our Achilles heel?
It's already or Achilles heel, we lost the league leaders shield because of it last season. I really can't understand why the club is not looking to improve on areas that are so obviously improvable.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

It would require longer arms to sort the problem, as I expect SW, with his attention to detail, will have scoured the first team squad to find the top kicker and failed miserably to satisfy a "champion" requirement.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
markill

Post by markill »

How many times have teams specifically gone out to buy a player because of his goal kicking ability? I'm guessing not a lot. I can't think of any in the Super League era.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Certainly a class goal-kicker would/will make a huge difference.