you just have to laugh

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
georgeorwell

you just have to laugh

Post by georgeorwell »

I don't know if this post is in the correct category, so apologies if I got it wrong.

I read an article in one of the papers a couple of weeks ago, written by their R U reporter. He was bemoaning the fact that the strict laws applied in the professional game were impacting badly on the amateur game, where ref's were being too strict in applying the rules, and ruining the game for the players and also for the spectators. He raised a number of examples to make his point, then came the bombshell. He said he thought the game would be better for the players and spectators alike, at the non professional level, if the number of players were reduced to 13 a side!!! Now where have we heard that daft idea before? Not a mention of our great game though; it almost defies belief.
DaveO

Re: you just have to laugh

Post by DaveO »

georgeorwell wrote:I don't know if this post is in the correct category, so apologies if I got it wrong.

I read an article in one of the papers a couple of weeks ago, written by their R U reporter. He was bemoaning the fact that the strict laws applied in the professional game were impacting badly on the amateur game, where ref's were being too strict in applying the rules, and ruining the game for the players and also for the spectators. He raised a number of examples to make his point, then came the bombshell. He said he thought the game would be better for the players and spectators alike, at the non professional level, if the number of players were reduced to 13 a side!!! Now where have we heard that daft idea before? Not a mention of our great game though; it almost defies belief.
On BBC R2 this morning on the way to work the sports reporter was on about the forthcoming RU six nations and had some Irish pundit on.

When asked about the comparison between the Northern Hemisphere sides compared to those from the Southern, the conclusion was the Northern sides needed to take more risks and not just stick the ball up the jumper. He then gave an example of a 3rd choice NZ prop who give a one handed offload in the tackle in their game V France (I think) as if this was a spectacular and revolutionary bit of play and yet came from a 3rd rank player.

The first thought came into my head was, "RL has been playing 'Rugby' like this for over 100 years".
Wigan_forever1985

Re: you just have to laugh

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Correct DaveO the article can be found here for those interested

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35374361

For anyone who wants a summary - the Aussies and kiwis score tries instead of trying to kick their way through every match
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure