The Wigan 'Curse'

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kittwazzer

The Wigan 'Curse'

Post by Kittwazzer »

Early high flyers Widnes spoiled our home record and have since struggled to buy a win.
Warrington (Its Our Year) beat us then lose at home to a Saints team missing all four first choice threequarters.

#justsayin
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: The Wigan 'Curse'

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

After the Lord Mayor's show?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I've always found that teams put so much into beating us, especially at the DW, that they ultimately lose their next, or the next several, games.

We are still the team all others strive to beat & be like ????
Just saying :wink:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Some similarities with last night's game and ours against wire, but with different refereeing decisions.
Farrell was sent to the bin for holding a player back and last night Roby wasn't. Irrespective of a try being scored,against Warrington, Roby still held a player back from behind.
Warrington player has foot on touchline, then touches the ball, head and feed to Warrington at the scrum. Sarginson has foot (toe) on line and touches ball, head and feed also to Warrington. The foot on the line in both games had the same amount of follow on film coverage, yet one referee gets it right but another decides to ignore all the evidence in front of him to award the scrum feed to the team he chooses to. Makes my blood boil when you see the way referees can influence games for teams, or in other cases against teams they choose to.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Panchitta Marra wrote:Some similarities with last night's game and ours against wire, but with different refereeing decisions.
Farrell was sent to the bin for holding a player back and last night Roby wasn't. Irrespective of a try being scored,against Warrington, Roby still held a player back from behind.
Warrington player has foot on touchline, then touches the ball, head and feed to Warrington at the scrum. Sarginson has foot (toe) on line and touches ball, head and feed also to Warrington. The foot on the line in both games had the same amount of follow on film coverage, yet one referee gets it right but another decides to ignore all the evidence in front of him to award the scrum feed to the team he chooses to. Makes my blood boil when you see the way referees can influence games for teams, or in other cases against teams they choose to.
Could you pick two calls that went for us? How many calls did the officials get wrong in the games? How many did they get right? I imagine the percentage correct is up there at 90%+. Can always be improved, but compare that to a teams average completion rate, or a players errors per carry.

There's always room for improvement, but I'd like someone to prove this bias that everyone says there is. Should be easy seeing as it's happening every week.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Mike wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:Some similarities with last night's game and ours against wire, but with different refereeing decisions.
Could you pick two calls that went for us? How many calls did the officials get wrong in the games? How many did they get right? I imagine the percentage correct is up there at 90%+. Can always be improved, but compare that to a teams average completion rate, or a players errors per carry.

There's always room for improvement, but I'd like someone to prove this bias that everyone says there is. Should be easy seeing as it's happening every week.
I don't think it is bias I think it is inconsistency. Referees are interpreting the rules differently and Steve Ganson needs to sort it. Referees, like players, have bad games but their rulings should be consistent.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Mike wrote:

I don't think it is bias I think it is inconsistency. Referees are interpreting the rules differently and Steve Ganson needs to sort it. Referees, like players, have bad games but their rulings should be consistent.
Naturally people tend to see more of the negatives that fall gainst their own teams SEFC, I just highlighted two like for like incidents that were officiated differently by two referees. Very disputable decisions by hicks last week, some similar to those interpreted differently this week cost points against us on the scoreboard last week. Call it bias, call it inconsistency, it's still unacceptable when it affects the outcome of a game to the extent it currently is.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I never have an issue as long as it is consistent and by that I mean the RFL / Ganson whomever say if X happens the referee will do Y. The simplest example in the NRL was punching when they simply said punch a player and you are sent off. To the best of my knowledge nobody punches anybody any more in the NRL.

Is somebody gets 10 for holding a player down after a bust then fine as long as it happens every time, every week.

BTW I do think teams struggle after playing Wigan, partly because win or lose we give anybody a tough game but also British/ SL players struggle to play at their best week after week.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

With Wire surely the significant thing is the loss of Sandow, not playing us.

TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Mike wrote:

Cracks me up when someone compares a ref and a players mistakes, I have never seen a player receive technological help when making a decision, or a referee having to run into 3 men while carrying a ball, or skip through tackles while it's pouring down with rain, or referee whilst having a dislocated finger or broken nose, or control their frustration because somebody has clearly given a wrong decision against them or have to pass a pinpoint pass through crowded players to score a try!

Comparing the errors of a ref to the errors of players is.....well just not comparable!!

Secondly just a few examples:-

Hohaia not being sent off in a GF against us!
Knock on in a semi from Maguire that Thaler ignored against us!
Farrell sin binning when there have not been for the same offence against us!
8 point try against us!
Maguires knock on in last seasons GF against us!
Wood not being sent off for clearly punching against us!
Westwood fracturing Greens cheekbone against us!
Sims stamping against us!
The brawl against Stains when we didn't do anything yet recieved worst punishment against us!

How many big decisions in big games have gone for us compared to against us.....just a thought!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett