Garbage League?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
DaveO

Re: Garbage League?

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:It is an excellent post but not one the RFL or many fans want to hear or even accept. A month will pass and the idiots in the media and fans will say Wakey v Wigan showed just how competitive SL is (BOLLOCKS)
You can guarantee it.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

This is the worst SL I can recall.When the likes of Scott Moore, Jacob Miller, Nick Scruton and Liam Finn shine in a team that puts 62 points on Wigan it speaks volumes.Also when Willie Isa, Matty Smith, Lewis Tierney and Greg Burke are allowed to wear a Wigan shirt it shows firstly how poor we are and secondly the complacency of the Wigan club to have allowed us to sink so low.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Depends on if you pay to watch a live game or like many, give opinions on what they see on Sky Sports!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Depends on if you pay to watch a live game or like many, give opinions on what they see on Sky Sports!
What a completely nonsense statement that has nothing to do with the thread
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
endoman

Post by endoman »

Sad to say it, but I don't look forward to games any more. Growing up you always had players you wanted to play like, goodness knows who you'd pick out of the current team. It's just dull, but the balance sheet will make good reading so IFL and the RFL are happy. This spectator shall not be making any more 4 hour round trips to put up with what's being served up.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

endoman wrote:Growing up you always had players you wanted to play like, goodness knows who you'd pick out of the current team.
Good point. There have over the years been players who you look forward to seeing play. The expectation is they have the X factor to pull something special out. They usually tend to be backs as well doing the flashy stuff!

The last player like that we had was Sam T before he left or possibly Budgie.

Whether Sam T can be that player again remains to be seen.

There isn't really anyone in the current squad who compares. The teams of the 80's and 90's had several players in the squad like this.

Some good prospects like Gildart and Manfredi but if Burgess is anything to go by they won't be here long.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think its a good point and it can be said about many sports football included that the "characters" have gone out the game with what you might call "over professionalism"

All the players now are athletes to the stage where the sport they play starts to become 2nd to their ability to run or be physically sculpted

Even in recent times players like Newton and Long were pantomime villains to opposition supporters. Everyones so straight laced now you dont get those characters just a bunch of players who can run fast, lift lots, but in the end lack any flair

Think that is why the Wigan fans love Gelling - because he actually has a personality
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I think its a good point and it can be said about many sports football included that the "characters" have gone out the game with what you might call "over professionalism"

All the players now are athletes to the stage where the sport they play starts to become 2nd to their ability to run or be physically sculpted

Even in recent times players like Newton and Long were pantomime villains to opposition supporters. Everyones so straight laced now you dont get those characters just a bunch of players who can run fast, lift lots, but in the end lack any flair

Think that is why the Wigan fans love Gelling - because he actually has a personality
It's not just character or personality it is skill that is lacking. Sam T wasn't much of a character but electrified the game.

I don't disagree Gelling's personality is part of his popularity but the fact he is popular because of his personality is clutching at straws. Hanley, Bell and numerous other players were a pleasure to watch because they were so good yet they were straight laced.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I can remember pre seasons would be who will we sign and sure enough a world class legend came each season. Now it's I / my son / daughter went to school with him 2 years ago.
OJ

Post by OJ »

Certainly closer to garbage than super. The lights haven't completely gone out but they aren't half going dim at a rate of knots. Its sad to see it happening and can't put my finger on a specific reason. The situation seems to have crept up on us over the last few years with a number of things being responsible for the home game going down the pan. I used to get a real buzz when it was us against Saints but even that seems like just another game more and more. Anyone who has Premier sports and watches the NRL regularly can see that their game is light years ahead of ours. Players seem more committed and passionate and the will to win is a great motivator in itself as it just makes players all the more determined to not let themselves, their team mates or the team in general down at all. Even the officials are loads better and allow the games to flow and become more enjoyable for all, the players themselves have more respect for the officials which is good in itself - they just get on with it 99% of the time and that too makes for a much better game for everyone.
Personally I don't think the games against the Aussies at the start of our season help at all. Ideally they should be played at the end of the previous year with the players who made up the winning squads at the time and not at the start of the new season. Certainly don't think they did us, Saints or Leeds any favours so it will be interesting this season if there are new winners of our domestic comps just to see how these games disrupt their teams for 2017
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.