Shaun Wane 150

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Shaun Wane 150

Post by josie andrews »

Warrington tie to be Shaun Wane’s 150th game as Head Coach of Wigan Warriors

Shaun Wane is the longest-serving Wigan Coach of the Super League era

Season Ticket Holders and Members invited to exclusive team talk event with Wane.

Wigan’s next game against Warrington Wolves will be Shaun Wane’s 150th as Head Coach.

Shaun Wane has been involved with coaching at Wigan Warriors since the year 2000 when he joined as a Scout and Scholarship Coach following a playing career that included spells at Wigan, Leeds and Workington as well as representing Great Britain.

In 2003 Wane became Assistant Coach to the Under 18s team, a team that featured Joel Tomkins, Harrison Hansen and Chris Ashton.

After two years as Assistant, Wane took over as Head Coach and had instant success with the team winning the 2005 Grand Final against Leeds. Sam Tomkins was on the scoresheet that day with Lee Mossop on the bench as Wigan ran out 33-22 winners at Headingley.

A year later, Wigan would make the Grand Final again before finishing third and reaching the final eliminator in 2007.

In 2008 Wane took over as Head Coach of the Reserves and won the Grand Final that year beating St Helens 32-10 at Knowsley Road. Tries from Lee Mossop (2) and Sam Tomkins helped Wigan claim the win with Liam Farrell, Darrell Goulding and Michael McIlorum all in the starting XIII.

The next year Wigan Reserves lost just one game all season. The defeat to St Helens in the regular season was avenged in the Grand Final when the Warriors thumped their nearest rivals 34-6. Lee Mossop again played in the pack that day with Josh Charnley on the wing.

In 2010 Wane was promoted to the position of Lead Assistant Coach to the First Team to work alongside Michael Maguire. The pair were to enjoy instant success winning the 2010 Grand Final, Wigan’s first league title in 12 years.

The following year Wigan were to lift silverware once more beating Hull FC in the Challenge Cup Final at Wembley to win the famous trophy for the 18th time.

In April of that year, Michael Maguire confirmed that he would return to Australia to take over at South Sydney Rabbitohs and at the end of the season on the 11th of October Shaun Wane was given the job of Head Coach of Wigan Rugby League Club.

On the appointment, Wane said: “I am really pleased with the way things have worked out.

“It’s something I’ve dreamt of and now I have got the chance. I’m going to make sure I make the best of it.”

Make the best of it he has.

Wane’s first game as Head Coach was the round one Super League fixture against Huddersfield Giants on Sunday 5 February 2012.

That year he led the Wigan team to the League Leaders trophy narrowly missing out on the Grand Final after losing to Leeds 13-12 in the semi-final.

A year later and Wane and Wigan were back with a bang winning both the Challenge Cup, 16-0 over Hull FC, before taking the Super League Grand Final, a 30-16 win over Warrington Wolves.

The Warriors returned to the Grand Final in 2014 and 2015 with Wane only the second coach in Super League history, after Brian Noble, to coach in three consecutive Grand Finals.

Wane is the longest serving Wigan coach of the Super League era and the fifth longest serving coach in the Club’s history.

Of the 149 games Shaun Wane has been Head Coach, Wigan have won 102, drawn 3 with 44 defeats.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2016- ... jqSbJch.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Re: Shaun Wane 150

Post by cpwigan »

:eusa17: :eusa17: :eusa17:

:wink:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cpwigan wrote: :eusa17: :eusa17: :eusa17:

The wink doesn't clear your loathing of Wane & his position at the club :exc:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

josie andrews wrote:
cpwigan wrote: :eusa17: :eusa17: :eusa17:

The wink doesn't clear your loathing of Wane & his position at the club :exc:
It just makes it all the more obvious!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Never hid not rating Wane as head coach of Wigan nor the increasingly barren seasons under Mr Wigan. Thank god we had Madge and even Wane was able to hang onto his success for a while. Alas, the longer Wane has been No 1 the longer the lack of success and failure has extended.

For all fans of Mr Wigan; just remember his promise to you; we under achieved under Madge and Wane was going to do better, win games by cricket scores and champagne RL :o
TrueBlueWarrior

cpwigan wrote:Never hid not rating Wane as head coach of Wigan nor the increasingly barren seasons under Mr Wigan. Thank god we had Madge and even Wane was able to hang onto his success for a while. Alas, the longer Wane has been No 1 the longer the lack of success and failure has extended.

For all fans of Mr Wigan; just remember his promise to you; we under achieved under Madge and Wane was going to do better, win games by cricket scores and champagne RL :o
The funny thing is I don't recall reading posts from any Mr Wigan fans on here, I am certainly not. Nobody is 100% happy with him I don't think but what I and others don't do is let our feelings for SW cloud our judgment on everything else Wigan!! I support Wigan not SW, therefore in recent games when we have been down to the youngsters helping us out, I have been delighted with the effort and results, not because of SW but because of the players. It seems to me cp and correct me if I am wrong but your hatred for SW is not allowing you to actually enjoy other things Wigan.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I do not have any feeling towards Wane etc. I am sure he is a decent chap. I am only concerned about Wigan being successful or unsuccessful. So the only thing you got right was that I dislike Wigan being unsuccessful and if that means I do not see Mr Wigan as a great even good Wigan coach then so be it. Have I enjoyed 2016? I enjoy winning games but in terms of enjoying Wigan and RL in 2016; no, dull as ditch water.
TrueBlueWarrior

cpwigan wrote:I do not have any feeling towards Wane etc. I am sure he is a decent chap. I am only concerned about Wigan being successful or unsuccessful. So the only thing you got right was that I dislike Wigan being unsuccessful and if that means I do not see Mr Wigan as a great even good Wigan coach then so be it. Have I enjoyed 2016? I enjoy winning games but in terms of enjoying Wigan and RL in 2016; no, dull as ditch water.
Is that not more of a reflection of British RL in general and not just Wigan? Having said that I said a few days ago on another thread, a better coach, a few new players and IL releasing a few more pennies, we could and should dominate SL for years!!
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

So how does his win/loss compare to other SL coaches.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I'd rather have a 'Mr Wigan' at Wigan than an antipodean glory seeker interested only in the here and now, never giving a second thought to the future of our club!