Re: Game plan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Schalk Brits... posted:
:) :) Got ya LP the main problem with our sliding defence at present is that we are doing to much of it from on or near our own line and with Moran and Orr defending 3 in one on each side of the field its creating far too many weak spots.
:eh: :eh: :eh:
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Level Peg posted:
Too right, our defence is so tired by 30 minutes it spring more leaks than Wales. We must truncate, lay roots and mobalise across the field as a unit.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Schalk Brits... posted:
I think IM will put major emphasis on more time doing ball handling skills on the training paddock. Mainly cohesion around the ruck , long passing and running lines and timing from the edge attackers which has been poor all season. This will be done using new passing drills and incorparating perhipheral vision, long passing, quick hands, "bad" passing drills etc. Put the weights away more and get their balls out!!! We should see significant improvment in a short time.

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Schalk Brits... posted:
:lol1: :lol1: :lol1:
Getting a bit too technical for some, methinks. :wink:
Level Peg

Post by Level Peg »

thegimble posted:
GeoffN posted:
But Millward likes to play "high-risk" rugby...lots of offloads, long passes, off-the-cuff plays, etc. Our ball-handling recently makes me wonder if they can execute the plays he'll want to introduce.
Yes but it is controlled not like we do at the moment. At times we loose shape and pattern his sides do not lose these elements often.
We have made aweful decisions of putting out bad passes at crucial times but this is not a teachable skill it's inbred, it's about reading the game knowing your opponent and understanding.
We should look out of the first team box and see what our youngsters are doing with the football in hand. Chris Melling and Liam Colbon have been putting the ball about well in the senior Acadamy and Stephen Roper has impecable timing and great vision, something we are badly lacking in the firsts. We all too often long to hear of the immortal Kiwi or Aussie coming to save our lamb. But we have been developing our own home bred material for years, lets gradually bring them through, with their passion for Wigan.
standishcat

Post by standishcat »

Lol some people really do know what they're talking about.
Level Peg

Post by Level Peg »

Well SB, an uncle of mine has been saying that there have been rumbles of young Roper being talked about in union circles. I believe like Edwards, he has a successful union schoolboy background and the money is more available in their code. We could loose him which would be a shame. I've not seen too much senior A recently but I am informed he has the ball skill of Greg and awareness of Edwards. We'll have to see about that though.
portite

Post by portite »

I second that. For a few seasons now I've enjoyed watching the 2nd team more than the first. I'm glad that the young uns are getting a chance in the first team at last, although some people may not rate them because they want 'stars', I say watch people like Beswick, Allen and Hansen become 'stars'.