Wigan Standard Players ?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Stuwigan

Wigan Standard Players ?

Post by Stuwigan »

Wigan Standard Players ?

I asked this question yesterday and thought I would get some more views on it to try and establish what this actually is ?

Quote "superleague - What I class as Wigan standard is the best available player we can get in a particular position,"

So going on that reply many would feel there are more than 1 or 2 Wigan squad members do not fit that term " Wigan Standard Player "

Your thoughts ?
Wintergreen

Re: Wigan Standard Players ?

Post by Wintergreen »

Compared to the "pre cap" era?

Two- One would be on the bench.

In terms of the present (laughable but in reality it's not funny) standard of Superleage?

There are four players who I would pick in their positions compared to every other player in the league.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Tell us what you think it means Stu?
Stuwigan

Post by Stuwigan »

I think my views on a Wigan Standard player are vastly different from plenty on here.

Any player pulling on a Wigan shirt who gives 100% every game would be agood start for me. Also a player who has been chosen by the incumbent coaching staff to have the attributes they are looking for too add quality and skill to the team would be a big advantage also but I think the biggest one is the willingness to learn and progress as a player is a must.

Plenty players who have come to Wigan have initially have been slagged off as not being good enough and have then turned into legends ( Pat Richards stands to mind for one )

I do think that having the best player in every position is a pipe dream,I think many would love that at Wigan as would many other SL teams but the salary cap prevents this from happening. So balancing the squad to the best we can get is a very hard job these days for any club.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

If I had my choice to replace with any player in SL. The players I would choose in present Wigan team is

S.Tomkins
A.Gelling
J. Bateman
D.Manfredi
S.O'Lochlin.
Before any body jumps on me I am not saying other players are not Wigan Standard just that these for me would would make squad of any team including nrl. IMO.
Tuigamala

Post by Tuigamala »

Stuwigan wrote:I think my views on a Wigan Standard player are vastly different from plenty on here.

Any player pulling on a Wigan shirt who gives 100% every game would be agood start for me. Also a player who has been chosen by the incumbent coaching staff to have the attributes they are looking for too add quality and skill to the team would be a big advantage also but I think the biggest one is the willingness to learn and progress as a player is a must.

Plenty players who have come to Wigan have initially have been slagged off as not being good enough and have then turned into legends ( Pat Richards stands to mind for one )

I do think that having the best player in every position is a pipe dream,I think many would love that at Wigan as would many other SL teams but the salary cap prevents this from happening. So balancing the squad to the best we can get is a very hard job these days for any club.
You do make a good point and another player who is definitely one of our best is Anthony Gelling. He's had his fair share of unfair treatment on here it's just a good job the management take no notice of what is written on here otherwise we would have a team full of NRL Journeymen. Lockers was another who was touted as no good in his early career, he's only the best forward in England at present.
"If there is no blood on the line, it is not rugby league"
(Russell Crowe)

Stuwigan

Post by Stuwigan »

Kept : - quite agree with all of those players and these would form a real good solid part of the team.

I think id throw into the mix Mc Ilorum. A very strong tackler and a player others do fear him running at them.

Gildart if he keeps progressing would be another to consider as he is only ( finger crossed ) going to get better and he is still quite young.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Effort has got little to do with it. Alas Wane, in my opinion, will pick effort over ability so what he would have made of Brett Kenny with his hands in his pockets I don't know. He'd have probably sent Ellery Hanley on loan to Cas and never touched Offiah with a barge pole.

Wigan standard players? In no particular order:

Lockers, Micky Mac, Bateman, S Tomkins (assuming he can still run), Farrell and Charnley.

I would include J Tomkins if he could find his pre-RU form.

Some young players have potential to join that list such as Sutton, Gildard, Manfredi and Williams and maybe Burke but they aren't there yet.

The rest are distinctly average in my view. None of the senior props scare other teams and while Sargeson and Gelling will run themselves into the ground (so wane loves them) they lack that instinctive ability that comes to a player like Bateman naturally.

If you look at the number of players in the top row it is not very many and if you think who would also be in that row just a few seasons ago (so in the salary cap era) such as Carmont, Richards, Tommy L and Green I think it's obvious why we don't look as good.

There are too few players of real quality and too many average and junior players in the first team.

Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Agree with most of what Dave O says there.
I do think Manfredi is well above average and one of the best wingers in SL right now if not the best.
The way we look at former players can be a bit rose tinted.
Richards in his first season at centre was awful, better 2nd season at wing but it took him those two seasons and only into his third to become what we expect from a Wigan winger when he bacame quite outstanding.
Green never convinced me when he played for us and I don't consider him outstanding in anyway. He was the empitome of inconsistent. Awesome one game anonymous the next. He did have an amount of class about him but too many games MIA for me.

My Wigan standard by current SL style would be -:
Sam T, Charnley, Manfredi, Williams, Flower, Farrell, Bateman, Lockers, Clubb.
Gildart may well become that given time.
More consistency from Gelling and he could be.
Don't know about MM as I have well gone off 2 hookers a game both playing 20 mins each. MM must start doing 80.
Joel T if he can pick up form.
Crosby is still young for a prop and he could come good.

All told not a bad squad really. We just have to get them all playing at the same time.

TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

I don't know if this is what 'Wigan standard' is all about but I want players playing for Wigan that are good enough to get in any other SL team or at least a regular in the 17, so for me the players I would pick are:-

Sam (providing he can get back to what he was)
Manfredi (above Charnley at the moment)
Gelling (maybe only Leeds where he wouldn't be a starting centre)
MM (Only Roby near him when he is on top form)
Flower (would get in any pack especially injury free)
Farrell (international class 2nd row)
Lockers (world class)
Bateman (world class)

Potentials:-

Charnley (if he rediscovered his early form but leaving RL anyway)
Williams (less injuries more consistency)
Crosby (huge potential but more games and consistency)
Joel (Pre union form needed then international class)
Clubb (more minutes, more consistency)
Gildart (huge potential just to young yet)

To early to tell:-

Hampshire, Burke, Gregson, Higginson, Sutton etc.

Never going to be:-

Smith, Powell, TT, Sarginson, Tierney, Isa, I respect all these players but for me at the moment they are not good enough!!

Anomaly:-

Moose (god only knows)

regards,

TBW
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett