Gelling back to rock the Robins

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Gelling back to rock the Robins

Post by josie andrews »

Anthony Gelling is set to blast back into the first-team frame this week.

And coach Shaun Wane has tipped him to re-establish his place as the form centre of Super League over the summer months.

Wigan travel to Hull KR on Friday night looking to keep the heat on leaders Hull FC, who have a two-point advantage. The complexion at the top can change this Friday as FC travel to second-placed Warrington.

Gelling – who has been sidelined with a hamstring problem – is likely to replace teenager Oliver Gildart in the starting line-up.

Wane said last night: “Gells trained today and looked in good nick, so I expect him back.

“In my opinion, before he was injured he was the best centre in the competition. I’m not expecting him to be man-of-the-match in his first game back, but I’m expecting a good performance and I’m looking forward to seeing him get back to his best.”

Gelling has not played since a 54-4 win at Dewsbury in the Challenge Cup a month ago.

Since then, Wigan lost to Hull FC but have since chalked up three wins on their travels against Leeds – at the Magic Weekend – Castleford and Salford.

Anthony Gelling is set to blast back into the first-team frame this week.

And coach Shaun Wane has tipped him to re-establish his place as the form centre of Super League over the summer months.

Wigan travel to Hull KR on Friday night looking to keep the heat on leaders Hull FC, who have a two-point advantage. The complexion at the top can change this Friday as FC travel to second-placed Warrington.

Gelling – who has been sidelined with a hamstring problem – is likely to replace teenager Oliver Gildart in the starting line-up.

Wane said last night: “Gells trained today and looked in good nick, so I expect him back.

“In my opinion, before he was injured he was the best centre in the competition. I’m not expecting him to be man-of-the-match in his first game back, but I’m expecting a good performance and I’m looking forward to seeing him get back to his best.”

Gelling has not played since a 54-4 win at Dewsbury in the Challenge Cup a month ago.

Since then, Wigan lost to Hull FC but have since chalked up three wins on their travels against Leeds – at the Magic Weekend – Castleford and Salford.

Gelling, a Cook Islands international, was one of Wane’s first recruits when he took over from Michael Maguire as head coach at the end of 2011.

He was signed as a ‘project player’ and, having shown patience early on, they have reaped the rewards from their investment.

The 25-year-old’s athletic ability has rarely been questioned and he has now cut out the errors which blighted his performances in the past. One of the game’s most colourful stars, he has become a firm fans’ favourite.

Wane said: “With Anthony it was more to do with concentration than effort, and it seems like the penny has dropped.

“He knows what the team needs and what his role should be, and we’re seeing the best of him.

“He’s big, he’s athletic, and he gives us a good attacking threat which challenges people.”

Wane reported no fresh injury concerns. Tony Clubb (neck) and Liam Farrell (ribs) are still waiting to undergo operations, while captain Sean O’Loughlin is expected to be out until the end of the month.

Taulima Tautai has received a caution for a dangerous throw in the 23-20 win against Salford, but is free to play this week.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... z4At0XL94P
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Panchitta Marra

Re: Gelling back to rock the Robins

Post by Panchitta Marra »

I remember last time Gells coming back from a hamstring injury and it wasn't the best period of his Wigan playing career. He's not been out as long this time and I hope he gets back to his top form, however, I think that Dave'O' will have his keyboard/smartphone ready in anticipation of any slip up and willing to reference the usual anti Anthony posts.

C'Mon Gells
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I can't wait to see Gelling play again - with him on form, and the 1, 6, 7 combination improving every week, we should be properly entertained (for the first time this year...).
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I can't wait to see Gelling play again - with him on form, and the 1, 6, 7 combination improving every week, we should be properly entertained (for the first time this year...).
He's not the best of players on a come back return EW, he usually suffers his brain fart rugby in the early return games, but once he's settled in and on form, what a pleasure to watch.
I'm hoping for a good connection between Gelling and Sam Tomkins, as the options I think those two could provide would be spot on. Sam was always been good at backing up and from some clever off-load play, I'm all excited. ????????????
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Superb news, our best centre since Carmont :eusa3:
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I'm not sure why anyone would expect anything other than the usual mixture of inspired moments and other events that make you hide behind the sofa. He hasn't changed since he arrived and I don't see why a brief lay-off will make any difference.
What does concern me is the treatment of Oliver Gildart. Played out of position when Sarginson could have filled the role at right-centre and now presumably to be cast aside with the same player who is leaving at the end of the season playing in fits and starts at left-centre.
Never mind game-management - how about some man-management and looking to the future? At least Messrs Gildart and Gregson can compare notes about life at Wigan in their increased leisure time.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

medlocke wrote:Superb news, our best centre since Carmont :eusa3:
+1. We've missed him!
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Southern Softy wrote:I'm not sure why anyone would expect anything other than the usual mixture of inspired moments and other events that make you hide behind the sofa. He hasn't changed since he arrived and I don't see why a brief lay-off will make any difference.
What does concern me is the treatment of Oliver Gildart. Played out of position when Sarginson could have filled the role at right-centre and now presumably to be cast aside with the same player who is leaving at the end of the season playing in fits and starts at left-centre.
Never mind game-management - how about some man-management and looking to the future? At least Messrs Gildart and Gregson can compare notes about life at Wigan in their increased leisure time.
I agree with you about Sarginson playing in the right centre position at Castleford as all four tries against us came down that flank, especially with Solimona there.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Southern Softy wrote:I'm not sure why anyone would expect anything other than the usual mixture of inspired moments and other events that make you hide behind the sofa. He hasn't changed since he arrived and I don't see why a brief lay-off will make any difference.
I can understand where your comming from. But Gildart is work in progress and is building into a good centre not being overplayed. That IS good man management. But Sarg imo is a much better centre regardless of left or right. And if your theory as sarge is leaving at the end of season gildart should be in before him does same apply to Charnley and other players leaving at season end.
On Gelling I am 100% sure i prefer him in our side as any other in sl. He has class wrote all over him.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Gelling needs to play, for me Sarge has been playing better recently and Gildart needs a rest, no brainer for me!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett