Sam to miss Widnes

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Sam to miss Widnes

Post by josie andrews »

It appears Sam will miss the game at Widnes due to the pitch!

Obviously they don't want to risk his knee! And yet not heard if Joel will sit it out, he still has a dodgy knee :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
LooseHead

Re: Sam to miss Widnes

Post by LooseHead »

Ive been told on good authority that certain players around SL both now and over the past couple of years have it in their contract that they do not play on anything other than grass pitch - maybe Sam is one?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

could this not just be a excuse to rest him for the Castleford game next week? i didnt expect him to play every game straight away when he came back.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
markill

Post by markill »

If we win at Widnes that's the top 4 before the split basically sealed up. We'd have a 9 break until the Cas game. Shouldn't be resting players in my view. Has Sam ever played on the plastic pitch though?
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Is it? I thought we'd need a 14 point gap to 5th before we'd sealed the top 4.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
markill

Post by markill »

Mike wrote:Is it? I thought we'd need a 14 point gap to 5th before we'd sealed the top 4.
It will be 4 games left with 8 points lead at worst over Saints/Wakey. Although our points difference isn't great, there's is worse.

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

markill wrote:
Mike wrote:Is it? I thought we'd need a 14 point gap to 5th before we'd sealed the top 4.
It will be 4 games left with 8 points lead at worst over Saints/Wakey. Although our points difference isn't great, there's is worse.
Thought we had 7 games in the Top-8s?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
markill

Post by markill »

Mike wrote:
markill wrote:
Thought we had 7 games in the Top-8s?
23 rounds in regular season. Next week is round 19.

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

markill wrote: Shouldn't be resting players in my view.
I agree and Sam needs the games.

As to the plastic pitch if as someone else suggested some players have a clause in their contracts not to play on it this seems very strange.

Do Widnes players who play on ot week in week out suffer for it? If there is something intrinsically wrong with a plastic pitch for RL over time all their players would end up crocked.

Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I would not play him, in part because, for players unaccustomed to the surface the broad consensus is that it does take a heavier toll on limbs, in part because the cup game is so important we could field a reserve team on Thursday for all I care (happily, Widnes may have one eye on their own cup game). Plus, our superb run of recent run of form leaves us in a happy position of being able to rest players without being overly concerned about missing out on the top 4. Finally, I am no expert but I would have thought that a rest after a run of games would be beneficial to any player who has been out for a while. The cup game is so important and we have earnt the luxury of resting players... It would be crazy to risk anyone.