Jo Cox MP, RIP

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
DaveO

Jo Cox MP, RIP

Post by DaveO »

What a sad day for Britain and what tragedy for her young children, husband and family.

I fear what transpired today is a result of months and months of misguided rhetoric aimed at immigrants and refugees and also the the stoking of nationalism.

We have opened Pandora's box and as a result we have given our species's innate prejudices (tribalism, jingoism, racism, etc) a platform. Black day for British society and British politics.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Jo Cox MP, RIP

Post by Mike »

My god, whats happened to us.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

A brilliant woman, who dedicated herself to helping people irregardless of their race, religion or colour, especially those persecuted by others.

A beacon amongst the darkness of hate politics.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

RIP Jo Cox, so very very sad. Sincere condolences to her family & friends.

What is this world, not just this country, coming to?

There is so much violence everywhere. Fuelled, IMO, not just with race, religion & politics, but everything portrays violence, sex & swearing & no respect or regard for our fellow man.

Films, TV, video games are overrun with it, so much so that people are becoming to think it is the norm.

I hope to God that I am not around when this world eventually implodes!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote:What is this world, not just this country, coming to?

There is so much violence everywhere. Fuelled, IMO, not just with race, religion & politics, but everything portrays violence, sex & swearing & no respect or regard for our fellow man.

Films, TV, video games are overrun with it, so much so that people are becoming to think it is the norm.
It's more than that Josie. We are going backwards as a civilised society.

In my view this tragic episode is a culmination of the stoking up of anti-immigrant feeling and racism that politicians have done deliberately to garner votes. They exaggerate the problem deliberately. Even lie about it and people fall for it.

It's is along the same lines of of setting people off against "benefit cheats". Now as a result everyone benefits is a scrounger.

It is nasty politics that sets one part of society against the other but crucially does so by playing on people's prejudices.

It is also very cynical. They get their votes and don't care what damage they do along the way. Well now look!

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote:
josie andrews wrote:What is this world, not just this country, coming to?

It's more than that Josie. We are going backwards as a civilised society.

In my view this tragic episode is a culmination of the stoking up of anti-immigrant feeling and racism that politicians have done deliberately to garner votes. They exaggerate the problem deliberately. Even lie about it and people fall for it.

It's is along the same lines of of setting people off against "benefit cheats". Now as a result everyone benefits is a scrounger.

It is nasty politics that sets one part of society against the other but crucially does so by playing on people's prejudices.

It is also very cynical. They get their votes and don't care what damage they do along the way. Well now look!
I completely agree about us going backwards as a civilisation.

The most dangerous & destructive creature on the planet is man :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
i'm spartacus

Post by i'm spartacus »

DaveO wrote:What a sad day for Britain and what tragedy for her young children, husband and family.

I fear what transpired today is a result of months and months of misguided rhetoric aimed at immigrants and refugees and also the the stoking of nationalism.

We have opened Pandora's box and as a result we have given our species's innate prejudices (tribalism, jingoism, racism, etc) a platform. Black day for British society and British politics.
A sad day indeed when anyone loses their life needlessly. However, making sweeping statements about what you believe is a political view formed through rhetoric, is more likely to be a result of the unstable thought processes of individual plagued by years of mental health issues.

There have been at least three people in the last month who have been jailed for killing random people because of their instability. Mental health service policies and practice is in the main, very poor, and has been for a long time.

jobo

Post by jobo »

i'm spartacus wrote:
DaveO wrote:What a sad day for Britain and what tragedy for her young children, husband and family.

A sad day indeed when anyone loses their life needlessly. However, making sweeping statements about what you believe is a political view formed through rhetoric, is more likely to be a result of the unstable thought processes of individual plagued by years of mental health issues.

There have been at least three people in the last month who have been jailed for killing random people because of their instability. Mental health service policies and practice is in the main, very poor, and has been for a long time.
Think Dave O makes a fair point in that the media with their xenephobic coverage of the referendum has been the driver behind this act.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

i'm spartacus wrote:

The mental health angle is a cop out. Are ISIS terrorists mentally deranged?

You and I probably think anyone who kills in cold blood is mentally ill but you can't get away from the fact that people who do often justify their actions and are often sparked off by wider events.

The anti-immigration rhetoric and the way immigrants and refugees have been scapegoated is a disgrace (look at the UKIP posters which are fit for nothing other than Nazi Germany) and when actual politicians as opposed to extreme nut cases like "Britain First" are making such scapegoating mainstream it legitimises prejudice.

Much will be made of the mental illness and wrong time wrong place angle but the increasingly nationalistic tone of the Leave campaign has given people with extreme views a convenient peg on which to hang their prejudices and the unstable an excuse.

You may be interested to know Jo Cox was under consideration for police protection after months of abuse on social media and at least one other MP has had to get the police in after threats of violence and threats have been made to a councillor because they had a "Remain" sticker on their car.

I normally find Polly Toynbee to much trouble to read as she tends to use a 1000 words when 10 would suffice but I think she nails what I am trying to say here:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ead-jo-cox

BriH

Post by BriH »

DaveO wrote:
i'm spartacus wrote:

The mental health angle is a cop out. Are ISIS terrorists mentally deranged?

You and I probably think anyone who kills in cold blood is mentally ill but you can't get away from the fact that people who do often justify their actions and are often sparked off by wider events.

The anti-immigration rhetoric and the way immigrants and refugees have been scapegoated is a disgrace (look at the UKIP posters which are fit for nothing other than Nazi Germany) and when actual politicians as opposed to extreme nut cases like "Britain First" are making such scapegoating mainstream it legitimises prejudice.

Much will be made of the mental illness and wrong time wrong place angle but the increasingly nationalistic tone of the Leave campaign has given people with extreme views a convenient peg on which to hang their prejudices and the unstable an excuse.

You may be interested to know Jo Cox was under consideration for police protection after months of abuse on social media and at least one other MP has had to get the police in after threats of violence and threats have been made to a councillor because they had a "Remain" sticker on their car.

I normally find Polly Toynbee to much trouble to read as she tends to use a 1000 words when 10 would suffice but I think she nails what I am trying to say here:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ead-jo-cox

Like you DaveO and everybody else, I'm shocked, sad, angry, dismayed and can't make any sense of it at all.
Unless you are a fanatic - like ISIS - you have to be deranged to do such a thing.
Ordinary people get very passionate about politics and kinds of things but we don't kill people.