how do you think wigan's future looks now

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
heydude

how do you think wigan's future looks now

Post by heydude »

what with Ian Millward taking over and with us having plenty of up and coming young players in the team how do you feel about the next 2 or 3 seasons.Me i see us as Leeds was a couple of seasons ago and now look at them can we repeat their success, i feel we can.Just thought i'd start up a debate because i have been accused that i don't.so like to here from you all about your opinions on this matter. :D
don't eat yellow snow
portite

Re: how do you think wigan's f...

Post by portite »

Yep the future's bright, the future's Wigan. There will be even more competition from all teams once this non relegation thing comes into effect. We have the talent at the club combined with shrewd signings, we should be ok. The rest of this season will be a learning curve for IM. I've had a feeling that we can win the Challenge cup since we beat Whitehaven. Anythings possible as last nights f/ball shows. :D :D :D :) :)
ChrisA

Re: how do you think wigan...

Post by ChrisA »

Looks better, we may not see much improvment this season as bad recruitment and injuries are really affecting us, we should see a more organised team, especially in attack, but we lack the true quality in alot of positions that the other top teams have. On te plus side, we are being linked with a few good overseas players now, and hopefully Whelan will get his hand in his pocket if Millward wants to sign some Britsih players who may command a transfer fee. It was good to see Whelan at the press conference looking excited about Millward and what he thinks he can do for our club, I really do feel that if needed he will splash some cash if we need to pay a fee for a few players.
primrose-n-blue

Post by primrose-n-blue »

I can't see you making the CC or top 6 this season.
The squad is so weak, its the poorest Wigan team i've watched play since 1980!!

:eusa14: Ian
:inlo: Cheerleader
jinkin jimmy

Re: how do you think wigan's f...

Post by jinkin jimmy »

heydude posted:
what with Ian Millward taking over and with us having plenty of up and coming young players in the team how do you feel about the next 2 or 3 seasons.Me i see us as Leeds was a couple of seasons ago and now look at them can we repeat their success, i feel we can.Just thought i'd start up a debate because i have been accused that i don't.so like to here from you all about your opinions on this matter. :D
Well we might not be starting from a good position in the league but we have a world class venue and coach plus a benefactor who has intimated he is willing to spend, so yes the future may look rosy.

The area where we will differ from Leeds is that they have benefitted from Leeds United's demise. We will feel the opposite - I expect quite a few will buy Latics season tickets in the next 2 months, leaving little spare cash for the rugby.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ChrisA posted:
Looks better, we may not see much improvment this season as bad recruitment and injuries are really affecting us, we should see a more organised team, especially in attack, but we lack the true quality in alot of positions that the other top teams have.
I think that is a fair assesment. We are going into the Salford game with four first teamers out (again!) and given we have been in that position so much it is bound to affect our chances but I do expect the mistakes to reduce, the team to be better organised and more itelligent use of the subs bench.

So we will get some improvement but it won't be a revolution.
On te plus side, we are being linked with a few good overseas players now, and hopefully Whelan will get his hand in his pocket if Millward wants to sign some Britsih players who may command a transfer fee. It was good to see Whelan at the press conference looking excited about Millward and what he thinks he can do for our club, I really do feel that if needed he will splash some cash if we need to pay a fee for a few players.
Good point about Whelan. The fact he was obviously delighted with Millwrds arrival has shown people he is still very much interested in Wigan RL.

I don't know if you have noticed but the almot daily threads about us moving out of the JJB and the club being sold have dried up on the message boards such as rlfans.

Dave