When Wigan went professional

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

When Wigan went professional

Post by DaveO »

Can anyone tell me the year in which Wigan announced they were to become a full time professional team?

I think it was either 1991 or 1992.

I seem to recall Ian Lucas gave up his antique business the year Wigan turned pro. He then went on tour with GB and at the end of that season had his career ended by a spear tackle from Harrogan. I think that tour was 1992 hence my idea that Wigan went pro in the 1991/92 season?

Does anyone know for sure?

Dave
GeoffN

Re: When Wigan went profession...

Post by GeoffN »

I think you're probably about right, Dave, but I can't remember exactly.
DaveO

Re: When Wigan went profes...

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN posted:
I think you're probably about right, Dave, but I can't remember exactly.
Thanks Geoff I am pretty certain that was when the club announced its intentions.

Dave
gab0512

Post by gab0512 »

Hi Daveo

I thought it was end of 1990 beginning prior to start of 91 season. Ian Lucas and myself used to prop in the same school/club team, and Paul Derbyshire (Warrington assistant) used to be in the centres with me at College. Unfortunately I was garbage :lol:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

gab0512 posted:
Hi Daveo

I thought it was end of 1990 beginning prior to start of 91 season.
That wouldfit in with my recollection then, that the first full season was that of 91/92. Thanks.

Ian Lucas and myself used to prop in the same school/club team, and Paul Derbyshire (Warrington assistant) used to be in the centres with me at College. Unfortunately I was garbage :lol:
Oh well never mind!

Dave
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

Schalk Brits... posted:
Ian Lucas was in the Aspull RU colts squad in 1984 but couldn't make the team which also contained John Gilfillan and former Widnes prop Darren Whitfield
darren is now coach at st judes u 11s still a big lad i also went to school with lucas at the deanery
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

DaveO posted:
Can anyone tell me the year in which Wigan announced they were to become a full time professional team?

I think it was either 1991 or 1992.

I seem to recall Ian Lucas gave up his antique business the year Wigan turned pro. He then went on tour with GB and at the end of that season had his career ended by a spear tackle from Harrogan. I think that tour was 1992 hence my idea that Wigan went pro in the 1991/92 season?

Does anyone know for sure?

Dave
It wasnt a spear tackle from Harrogan, he hit him high when he was already tackled, Ive still got the 3 tests on video from that series. Harrogan should have been banned for that for an eternity, it ended Lucas career and he never even got a penalty for it.