More day time matches?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

More day time matches?

Post by cpwigan »

Only realised how much a pain evening matches are when you want to take a young son or daughter. 8PM kick off are nigh on useless.
ian.birchall

Re: More day time matches?

Post by ian.birchall »

cpwigan wrote:Only realised how much a pain evening matches are when you want to take a young son or daughter. 8PM kick off are nigh on useless.
I wasn't even allowed by his mother in Leeds to take my 4year old grandson to the cup game v Cas. More 3pm games please, preferably all the Thursdays night games on Sky. Fat chance????
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

ian.birchall wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Only realised how much a pain evening matches are when you want to take a young son or daughter. 8PM kick off are nigh on useless.
I wasn't even allowed by his mother in Leeds to take my 4year old grandson to the cup game v Cas. More 3pm games please, preferably all the Thursdays night games on Sky. Fat chance????
I agree with you that all games which are not on Sky should be played in the daytime of Saturday and Sunday.

But I have never understood why there should be a problem with night matches on a Thursday for kids as years ago, many games in County cup Competitions, Floodlit Trophy Games, County Games and even the odd International were played on Tuesday or Wednesday Evenings in front of bigger crowds and far more kids than what you see at games today.

And these days, how many kids compare with the past now are up late at night in the week, even in many cases until Midnight?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

The country has become pussyfied imo :conf:
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Unless forced to do so, the club will not shift from Friday night rugby. It's all about income and Friday generates the most dosh.

Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I dont half miss the daytime games,not a fan of freezing me knackers off in this era of "summer" rugby in the middle of feb,then to face a drive home in the sleet and the snow in the dark,at least in the daylight you can see things coming at you.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Unless forced to do so, the club will not shift from Friday night rugby. It's all about income and Friday generates the most dosh.

I'd say the main reason SEFC, is the fixture congestion created by Sky. Over the years they've made Friday night their main programme 'filler' night, leading to short recovery weeks (4 days) if Sunday games are played, which the coaches aren't keen on. Some have actually said this is one of the reasons for all the injuries these days. To continually go from Sunday to Friday would put more strain on squads, with the temptation to include players who are not quite fit and the risk of aggravating the injury.
The hospitality factor is more a by product of clubs Friday night involvement, as that time slot will always attract the most income and guests/fans ?
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Unless forced to do so, the club will not shift from Friday night rugby. It's all about income and Friday generates the most dosh.
Maybe so for the club, but not for the supporters at the DW Stadium.

The Sunday games at Central Park were far better as you got a better atmosphere due to lively pub life around the Scholes and Wigan Lane area.

Now many of the pubs and clubs have either gone or those that are left no longer get the income generated by the Sunday games.

In the days of Central Park, I used to on occasions get into the players bar, but now like Football, it is now all about cooperate hospitality.

Boy, was I one of the lucky one's prior to 1999.

fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I too while not pretending I was there every week had a great time at Central Park the move has killed off in one swoop that type of atmosphere,sure you get it on odd days at the DW but it seemed to be like that every game there,the noise at times seemed far louder than at the football the day before.

Happy days and no doubt rose tinted glasses but for me the DW is far to sterile a stadium for rugby,our sport the crowd needs to be on top of the pitch,allowing players to interact as much as possible,the ground doesn't allow this.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Interestingly, the only match of RL my now deceased father in law saw of RL was a Saints Derby, the one where IIRC Faz scored late on to clinch the win. Day time match.
My son, day time is fine, night time is a non starter. He is normally in bed/asleep at 8.00PM.
I understand why people say we play at 8.00 for SKY but maybe that is a large part of why attendances have stgnated.