Re: Ian Roberts

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Some of you will remember this guy playing for Wigan in the 80s and he was as tough as they come.

I stumbled across this interview and its a good watch and the guy has certainly been through it, thats for sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRrFuyfxHWg
Remember being there for his debut. IIRC it was a semi final of Lancashire cup (?) and there was a floodlight failure?
4 Generations

Post by 4 Generations »

Remember him being injured at wigan for a while,rough and tough player.Short,but sweet stint. Mosty remember him playing at Manley[think it was Manley].Getting into a proper Brawl with Super star of the time.Gary Jacks.
Roberts Nailed him proper during a game.No Handbags,proper nocked the f... outa him[not on realy].I think ther was some court stuff followed it.
Remember his shirt framed at central park in the vice president lounge/bar/box area.

4G
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Iirc never injuted. Crazy tackle numbers. Took on boyd, JACKSON and tamatai at a jps final and took it all but came out on top despite needing stitches to his mouth part of micron opening credits.
4 Generations

Post by 4 Generations »

Yeah,Micron Video.Bloody Hell.Comes back more and more now.Had it was Bell that that had the stitches in my fading memory.

Remember Ellery and Boyd i think at Maine Road.

4G
robbobillinge

Post by robbobillinge »

Also, I think that he had a British Passport, so didnt count under the quota. Iirc he played for us against Saints in his first match, which was a surprise to all. Another rabbit pulled out of the hat by Maurice Lindsay. Ah.....great days!
4 Generations

Post by 4 Generations »

Could tackle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmQQnDg_mVM

Thats gota Hurt.

4G
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

He was an absolute tackling machine. Didn't he do 60 tackles one game or something?

4 Generations

Post by 4 Generations »

Smashed Mick Cassidy when we played the Aussies.Mick got up and got on with it.These days he would have been off in every game.
SHOULDER CHARGE its called now.

4G
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

:doz:
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

cpwigan wrote:Iirc never injuted. Crazy tackle numbers. Took on boyd, JACKSON and tamatai at a jps final and took it all but came out on top despite needing stitches to his mouth part of micron opening credits.

I remember him having stitches in his mouth and then going back on. I remember it being a final at Bolton Wanderers old ground if I'm not mistaken... Great player