Semi Final Squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Semi Final Squad

Post by Caboosegg »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:With Tomkins how long does he need?

I mean lets be honest since 2012 he has never been the player that he was 2010 and 2011.

In 2013 he was injured a bit and never really took the line on like he used to and seemed to have slowed, for Nz warriors he hardly set the world alight, then coming back he has been ok but he's never looked like making any sort of break

How much is fitness and how much he just ain't the same player anymore?
Sams 1st season in the NRL was rather good wasnt it., didnt he rate in the top 4 fullbacks statwise, after a rather slow start.

however i wouldnt judge him of friday, he was slower than dorn and looked like unfit fan had put the kit on and decided to try and join in. before that i thought he has been getting better which each game, however i think next year with a full preseason will show if hes going to be any good or not.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

moto748 wrote:Objectively I don't either of them are that great; certainly not to the Clark/Roby/Segeyaro standard.

But with Sam Powell's formidable work-load, it does seem almost churlish to criticise him.
Yet MM has had Roby in his pocket more often than I care to remember, Clark has hit a bit of form no doubt due to the help of Dwyer because before that he was average at best after a decent season at Cas and Segeyaro has played a couple of games with no pressure on at all with the huge help of the officials during those games!! Some posters seem to have very short memories!!

Sam Powell has been outstanding in MM's absence but work ethic should be a given in my opinion, although sadly it is not, a fully fit, which sadly he hasn't been for nearly 2 years now, MM is still the best hooker in SL when it really matters!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Any hooker needs go forward. No go forward and they look mediocre but go forward and they look a world beater. For me Powell is our player of the season.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cpwigan wrote:Any hooker needs go forward. No go forward and they look mediocre but go forward and they look a world beater. For me Powell is our player of the season.
I've voted for him as just that in the Riversiders vote :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
OJ

Post by OJ »

Hull fans think it's in the bag for them but I was very pleased to see that Millward is saying it will be a Hull v Wire final. Normally if he expects us to win it's the kiss of death so hope he's on his usual form with this prediction and that it goes the other way.
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
moto748 wrote:Objectively I don't either of them are that great; certainly not to the Clark/Roby/Segeyaro standard.

But with Sam Powell's formidable work-load, it does seem almost churlish to criticise him.
Yet MM has had Roby in his pocket more often than I care to remember, Clark has hit a bit of form no doubt due to the help of Dwyer because before that he was average at best after a decent season at Cas and Segeyaro has played a couple of games with no pressure on at all with the huge help of the officials during those games!! Some posters seem to have very short memories!!

Sam Powell has been outstanding in MM's absence but work ethic should be a given in my opinion, although sadly it is not, a fully fit, which sadly he hasn't been for nearly 2 years now, MM is still the best hooker in SL when it really matters!!
I rate MM very highly (especially given the standard of SL thesedays).

However, do you really think he is at the same standard as Roby?

Imo Roby is clearly superior.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think Roby has been a great hooker but he is on the downward now (not that he is finished, far from it). Roby benefitted big time from being interchanged with KC. Whether one is better than the other, Micky has frequently got the better of Roby in many of the games they have both played in. Again there are obviously other factors in how each one goes in a match.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Panchitta Marra wrote:Beyond all the negatives being put on this site re Friday nights defeat, players supposedly injured or suspended, a coach who has no idea. WILL WE WIN ON FRIDAY NIGHT?
Dunno, supposed to be going fishing up Siddick
pedro

Post by pedro »

Wintergreen wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:

I rate MM very highly (especially given the standard of SL thesedays).

However, do you really think he is at the same standard as Roby?

Imo Roby is clearly superior.
dont think he is anymore, he has lost his pace so is no longer a scooter
SJ

Post by SJ »

Josie's friend wrote:
SJ wrote:Let's see at end of season re- both Tomkins bro and MM. Players returning from serious injury never seem to perform at their previous level
Tbh Micky's form before and during these injuries over a couple of seasons wasn't that great, not doubting his skill but imo it's Sam Powell's spot to lose.
I agree with your comments re-Powell. As for who is/was the best "hooker" MM or JR I'm not going to rehearse my and my pal TBW's post on the topic but to be pedantic Ive never seen either of them "hook" a ball in their lives. :lol: seriously they. Both have/ had very different styles. It comes down.to which style you prefer and which you believe is/was most effective :D