Smith

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Smith

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

What does he bring to the team? Please don't say organisation, he couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery and he certainly can't perform under pressure.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Josie's friend

Re: Smith

Post by Josie's friend »

Rads had plenty to say on what Matty brings to the club, all positive so I'll go with his opinion. Miss the days when Blake was the problem and Smith the golden boy
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Worst scrum half in SL, I cannot believe how anyone can not realise how poor he is.He is not our only problem but he is certainly the biggest.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

after last night and the pile of crap we served up for 30 minutes in the second half i cannot believe someone made a Smith Thread, he wasnt bad at all last night one of our better player, made a couple of try saving tackles himself and his kicking game was okay.

he plays like wane tells him, it wasn't his kicks that were to strong or to long that our wingers couldn't reach them.

my one complaint was the goal kick he missed (which was a easy one) but he had just been taken out and wasn't standing to steadily. somthing we never managed to do to sneyd.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

I'm not a lover of Sneyd, but last night he took the line on and cast doubt into the oppositions minds.
When does Smith take on the line or EVER cast any doubts into the oppositions minds.
Half backs have to do things off the cuff, not stick 100% to a predetermined structure. Sneyd an average player in my eye displayed this, George Williams and Tuimavave to some extent, but Smith, not a clue how to change a game with his own ideas and skills.

Is there any coincidence that when Sam T struggles then so does Smith, only a question.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Caboosegg wrote:after last night and the pile of crap we served up for 30 minutes in the second half i cannot believe someone made a Smith Thread, he was bad at all last night one of our better player, made a couple of try saving tackles himself and his kicking game was okay.

he plays like wane tells him, it wasn't his kicks that were to strong or to long that our wingers couldn't reach them.

my one complaint was the goal kick he missed (which was a easy one) but he had just been taken out and wasn't standing to steadily. somthing we never managed to do to sneyd.
I agree, whenever we lose, it is always blame Smith.

Our problem is that unlike when we had Finch and Green, we no longer have a experienced play maker Stand Off. Williams is not a Stand Off, but a Scrum Half having to play at Stand Off.

The fault lies with the club giving Smith a four year contract until 2018 when they could see Williams and Powell emerging from the Academy as Scrum Haves/Hookers.

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I'm beginning to wonder if Smith is 'demob happy'?
markill

Post by markill »

The one time he got quick bank and he went to the line before passing we scored a try off the back of his play, because Williams then had the chance to do the same to put Isa in. Too often we see them just pass it so far away from the defenders that it's easy to defend us. That's the structure and instructions surely, otherwise when he breaks from that we wouldn't be scoring tries.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

All the criticism aimed at mainly smith is a joke. People forget players like lockers are becoming weak link simply because why the hell is he kicking on 3rd tackle when close to try line... Infact why the hell are we kicking early near line. This is our downfall and that is something you cant blame wane. Plus why did we take the 2 just after half time? I hate decisions like this.
IN WANE WE TRUST
markill

Post by markill »

eccywarrior wrote:All the criticism aimed at mainly smith is a joke. People forget players like lockers are becoming weak link simply because why the hell is he kicking on 3rd tackle when close to try line... Infact why the hell are we kicking early near line. This is our downfall and that is something you cant blame wane. Plus why did we take the 2 just after half time? I hate decisions like this.
We're doing it because our game is lateral and slow. We can't make breaks because don't attack the line with the ball or run well off the ball. So we look at a set defence and think of we can't go through them let's try a kick behind them. It's working sometimes too, not enough for how much we're trying it, but more than the static sideways passing game is. It's a symptom of our attacking structure being poor.

Completely agree re. the 2. We had them on the back foot and had a lead. There was ages left in the game, the 2 wouldn't be significant if one of hulls offloads led to a try, or we made a mistake in defence. We did both and lost.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod