Options vs Wakey?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Options vs Wakey?

Post by southportcdm »

Assuming that Wakey are suffering from a semi final defeat hangover just like us on Friday, we have the opportunity to try a couple of things/rest a couple of players. Unless our form collapses we should finish in the top 4 so the key objective is to get as many of our players fit and in form for the end of the season. The Wakey game should be our least testing match and you could argue that the team would benefit from freshening up if we have enough fit players to bring in. Liam may be back (more likely next week) but I don't know about Gelling and we need him more than ever now that Sarginson has a broken nose. Both wingers and Lewis are fit/available so we could give Sam break (if he's carrying another injury) or try him at 6. I think Matty has played every game this season and got another knock yesterday so give him a week off. We could then try George at 7 and Jake Shorrocks at 6 or vice versa to see how things may work in the future if not later in the season. I think Sam Powell needs a break but don't see how we can give him one without disrupting the half backs in a way that won't tell us anything useful. Ryan Sutton is playing really well but would probably benefit from a week off. He's played a lot of games for a youngster and we should have enough props/second rowers fit.
DaveO

Re: Options vs Wakey?

Post by DaveO »

The best team in the league isn't Hull, it's Warrington who have rather slipped under the radar but they lead the way on tries scored by some distance and with a good defence. They would have taken that Hull side to the cleaners last night.

As to options there are few. Gelling struggles after a long lay-off to get match fitness. If I recall correctly he was out towards the end of last season for a while and when he came back looked like an OAP running around on the pitch. He appears to be a player who has to play regularly to stay fit and a layoff can take weeks to get over.

In any case he isn't due back is he?

Only Faz to return if we are lucky. He seems a more naturally fit player so could get up to steam quicker and he is certainly a player we have missed IMO.

Josh will be an improvement on Teirney and I expect FNB to play.

But really we have not got a lot players to come back which kind of undermines the excuses made about injuries.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote:The best team in the league isn't Hull, it's Warrington who have rather slipped under the radar but they lead the way on tries scored by some distance and with a good defence. They would have taken that Hull side to the cleaners last night.

As to options there are few. Gelling struggles after a long lay-off to get match fitness. If I recall correctly he was out towards the end of last season for a while and when he came back looked like an OAP running around on the pitch. He appears to be a player who has to play regularly to stay fit and a layoff can take weeks to get over.

Only Faz to return if we are lucky. He seems a more naturally fit player so could get up to steam quicker and he is certainly a player we have missed IMO.

But really we have not got a lot players to come back which kind of undermines the excuses made about injuries.
? Clubb has been a massive miss. Micky Mac was having a very good start regardless of how powell has covered.

the issue with injuries hasn't just been the injuries, its been the constant swapping of positions as well,

to be fair though if gelling is back i would stick him in to allow him to get match fitness, as id much rather lose to wakefield than St Helens or warrington in the super 8s

These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Other than returns from suspension or injury (not sure any will) I dod not think you should forsee radical changes by Wane. He will of course at the season review say we gave X players their debuts whilst forgetting the reason (no choice) OR how many minutes that season they actually played.
4 Generations

Post by 4 Generations »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote:The best team in the league isn't Hull, it's Warrington who have rather slipped under the radar but they lead the way on tries scored by some distance and with a good defence. They would have taken that Hull side to the cleaners last night.

? Clubb has been a massive miss. Micky Mac was having a very good start regardless of how powell has covered.

the issue with injuries hasn't just been the injuries, its been the constant swapping of positions as well,

to be fair though if gelling is back i would stick him in to allow him to get match fitness, as id much rather lose to wakefield than St Helens or warrington in the super 8s
At last a positive take.Couldnt agree more.Thers everything to be positive about.Injurys galore and place/position changes every match.Week in week out.The lads have done a sterling job and Injurys arent an excuse.They are ther for all to see.
Clubb back,Gelling,Faz,Charnley and maybe our new wrecking ball.Micky mac i dont think we can figure on.Cant see how those players wouldnt be a big plus atm.
All to Play for with an improved choice of picks for wane

4G
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Squad fully available would not make a huge difference. Charnley, possibly Gelling (mind you Wane did not trust him at the death last season), Mac and Farrell would be the only changes. Sam P will always be in the 17 So will Isa, leaving 2 prope to fill the 17.

The problem IS THE COACH!!! :eusa17:
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

He might have an improved choice of picks but history tends to suggest that next Friday evening Wane will come out and say" That wasn't the real Wigan out there.... We've been hurting........... The players know they let everyone down (note the change from we to they) .............. they've had a beasting in training..... and so on.

It wasn't that we were suddenly bad in the last 3 weeks - it was that we reverted to how we played in the early half of the season and didn't get out of jail with last-minute heroics.

We are what we are and I can't see how it's likely to change this season. Next season maybe.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote:The best team in the league isn't Hull, it's Warrington who have rather slipped under the radar but they lead

Clubb always seems to get an injury that keeps him out of the team for a while. With so many props at the club FNB,TT, Mossop, FLower, Crosby and Sutton I don't think we can look to an injured prop as an excuse. We even started the season with Lockers at prop! There was plenty of cover.

As to MM the club decided to persist with Powell doing the full 80. He offers little attacking threat and so that is our own fault.

fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Powell is solid I suppose nut he's no MM,then again who is.

Said at seasons start Warrington had bought well and they will be there a ours at GF time as will saints another team quietly going about their business and steadily pick points up,on current form Wigan won't make the GF,the big thing I suppose is if Charnley doesn't have another blip because without him this season Christ knows where Wigan would be.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

The Warrington team today reminded me a bit of our team back in 2010/2011, when we could make full length of the field plays resulting in tries with sheer pace including that from the back row forwards. Hughes, Currie and westerman were spot on for Warrington today, it's been a while since ours were as dominant. Farrell and Bateman have a bit of pace, but which other forwards could we say could make a decent length line break if in a position to do so.