Attack coach

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
The booze hound

Re: Attack coach

Post by The booze hound »

josie andrews wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
markill wrote:My guess would've been that Tommy will work on relevant qualifications whilst winding down his playing days with us.
No chance of him winding down his career over the next couple of years as he will be in the starting line up. I've watched him play for New Zealand Warriors and he is better on one leg than Smith.
You really hate Smith!!
Possibly, but maybe SEFC just prefers the best man for the job.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

The booze hound wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: No chance of him winding down his career over the next couple of years as he will be in the starting line up. I've watched him play for New Zealand Warriors and he is better on one leg than Smith.
You really hate Smith!!
Possibly, but maybe SEFC just prefers the best man for the job.
I don't hate anyone. I just don't think that Smith is up to the task. I wish the lad would prove me wrong because he is a very likeable guy. I am looking at this from the Club's perspective and my eyes tell me that he is not playing well enough to warrant selection. Don't be fooled by the fact that the club has announced that Tommy is coming back primarily to coach, he is coming back to play. We have been trying to sign a halfback for some months now as some, with power in the club, recognise that Matty is not cutting the mustard. The biggest problem is that we don't know if Smithy would perform better under another coach, it may be that the reason for his poor form is Waney.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

What's Tony Smiths brotrher doing th is year
pieaterinLeigh

Post by pieaterinLeigh »

Is there any reason why Lockers couldn't/shouldn't be our new attacking coach?

Deakin was signed as a player- coach in this role, used his current playing experience to make a difference and proved it could be done.

Lockers playing time is becoming more and more limited, he is very much a ball playing loose forward so understands how to link forward and backs play. He is also coaching our juniors at the moment and Josie has confirmed he has (some of or all?) his badges.

Importantly he's respected by the players and would be acceptable but not completely compliant to SW as they seem to respect each other from what I can see.

Seems like a reasonable solution to me, while I'd equally love to see someone from the NRL coming in with new ideas to make our play exciting and take us forward.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pieaterinLeigh wrote:Is there any reason why Lockers couldn't/shouldn't be our new attacking coach?

Deakin was signed as a player- coach in this role, used his current playing experience to make a difference and proved it could be done.

Lockers playing time is becoming more and more limited, he is very much a ball playing loose forward so understands how to link forward and backs play. He is also coaching our juniors at the moment and Josie has confirmed he has (some of or all?) his badges.

Importantly he's respected by the players and would be acceptable but not completely compliant to SW as they seem to respect each other from what I can see.

Seems like a reasonable solution to me, while I'd equally love to see someone from the NRL coming in with new ideas to make our play exciting and take us forward.
We need the new ideas.

I don't know why people think we have to pussyfoot around and find an attacking coach acceptable to Wane. That is putting Wane's interests before those of the club.