Gelling and Farrell

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jasonnlouise

Gelling and Farrell

Post by jasonnlouise »

Both back in training,anyone think they'll be back in the team this week or will the Saints game be more likely?personally I'd like them in this week if possible to get some match fitness but not if the risk is too great to either player.
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: Gelling and Farrell

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Gelling came back to soon last time so not worth rushing him back again, as for Faz who knows!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Unleash them against Saints
5miler

Post by 5miler »

Unleash the beasts. Faz needs a workout before Saints anyway. Gells could be sub.
jasonnlouise

Post by jasonnlouise »

5miler wrote:Unleash the beasts. Faz needs a workout before Saints anyway. Gells could be sub.
I was thinking both as subs if selected but may be too much of a risk playing both
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Gelling might be very useful on the Cas pitch.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Duo Fit to Play

Liam Farrell and Anthony Gelling both nearing return

Duo fit and training with the first team squad ahead of Castleford game

Farrell could return after four months out with rib injury, Gelling has played in just 14 of Wigan’s 28 games this year owing to pectoral problem

Shaun Wane has confirmed that both Liam Farrell and Anthony Gelling are fit and available for selection this week after returning to full training following injury.

England international Farrell hasn’t played for four months after picking up a rib injury that required surgery whilst Gelling has missed exactly half of Wigan’s 28 games this year owing to a pectoral problem.

Wane says that the duo are in the frame for Friday’s trip to Castleford.

“Both players trained on Monday and today so they’ve put their names forward for selection.

“I’ll wait to see if I’m happy putting two players in who’ve both been missing for so long.

“They’ve both been out of action for some time, particularly Liam, he’s not the best when he’s not playing. Gells is quite laid back and puts up with it but Liam is a different sort of person. They’re both desperate to play on Friday though and if I feel comfortable putting two players back in then I will.”

Wigan make the trip over to Yorkshire on the back of an 11 try victory over Wakefield, a win that pleased the Warriors Head Coach.

Wane said: “It was a good performance, we attacked really well and we defended really well so overall I was very happy with the win. We tweaked a few things in our attack and it worked so I was really happy with the result.”

Sam Tomkins became only the 20th player to score 150 tries for Wigan and Wane admitted the Warriors full-back has been playing with a knock for a few weeks now.

“Sam’s not quite 100% at the moment but he still puts his hand up and plays every week,” Wane said.

“I admire what he’s doing for the team. The team’s been through a tough period but every week he’s put his hand up to play and delivered so I’ve got a lot of admiration for him and to get 150 tries is quite an achievement as well.

Prop, Frank-Paul Nuuausala, also had his best game in the Cherry and White so far after putting in a series of fine runs as well as some mean defence.

Wane said: “He was good, he carried the ball well. He can improve with his defence but he’s very harsh on himself, he wants to learn and get better. I’ve met with him one on one and he’s really keen to improve.”

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2016- ... taIjkhm.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:Gelling might be very useful on the Cas pitch.
I'm always fearful of Gelling returning after a substantial period of time out, he's been open to howlers after missed matches in the past. Let's hope he keeps his wits about him. :D
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

He is a risk PM but i think on a narrow pitch our 2nd man overlap plays are less successful whereas Gels can take the line on and offload. His defence v Gale and co could be scary.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I'm a Gells fan; I think the good far outweighs the bad, and he's sure much more of a handful for opposing defences with ball in hand than Sarge. I'm travelling over to Castleford for the game (I'm in West Wales now) and would be delighted to see him play.