Timely Boost

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Timely Boost

Post by josie andrews »

Liam Farrell and Anthony Gelling named in Wigan’s 19-man squad for trip to Castleford

Farrell to return after four month layoff, Gelling back after six game absence

Wigan travel to Castleford on Friday evening for Round 2 Super 8s game

Wigan have been handed a timely boost just two weeks into the Super 8s after Liam Farrell and Anthony Gelling were both been named in the squad for Friday’s clash at Castleford.

Farrell has been out of action for four months with a rib injury whilst Gelling returns after a six game absence following a pectoral injury.

Shaun Wane hinted earlier in the week that the duo could return this week and their returns moved ever closer after they were named in the squad for Friday’s game.

The pair replace Oliver Gildart and Jake Shorrocks in the 19-man squad.

Anthony Gelling has played in just 14 of Wigan’s 28 games this year owing to injury
On Friday’s opponents, Shaun Wane said: “Castleford are a very good team, not many teams can go to Hull and win – it’s a tough place to go. I thought Cas were very good that night, they really played at Hull on the advantage line, they played the ball quick and put Hull under a lot of pressure and they were good for the win.

“I like the way they play and having Rangi (Chase) back at the club seems to have lifted everybody.”

On the trip to The Jungle, Wane said: “It’s a great atmosphere there, a great Rugby League town. They know the game really well, the history of the ground is fantastic and it’s a place we like going to.

“We enjoy playing there, I’ve had some tough times there over the years but the win there earlier in the season was impressive and we all enjoyed it and just need to make sure we get that again.”

Wigan Warriors 19-man squad
John Bateman, Josh Charnley, Dom Crosby, Liam Farrell, Ben Flower, Anthony Gelling, Willie Isa, Dom Manfredi, Lee Mossop, Frank-Paul Nuuausala, Sean O’Loughlin, Sam Powell, Dan Sarginson, Matty Smith, Ryan Sutton, Taulima Tautai, Lewis Tierney, Sam Tomkins, George Williams.

Wigan head to Castleford on Friday evening for their second Super 8s game. To sync Wigan’s fixtures with your calendar CLICK HERE.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2016- ... TuIaA58.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
AdamMac

Re: Timely Boost

Post by AdamMac »

Strongest squad on paper we've named this season, bar far.

Sarginson can think himself lucky, that said Gildart has been as equally poor this last month. Complacency creeps in when you know that you won't be dropped, hopefully we'll see an improvement in the centre positions now that we have competition again.

Not sure he will start both Faz and Gels. One will start on the bench I think, probably Faz, unless he starts Bateman at centre, which I find unlikely.

Big game.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

If they both play it will not be for 80 minutes I would think. Probably 1 from 2.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Great to see both lads back in the squad. Feel a bit sorry for Gildhart and can't help thinking that we should have found space for Shorrocks who really needs the experience. If we loose Sam Powell (we know he's carrying an injury) we'll be in real trouble. Best of luck to the lads, we need to start showing improvements in attack from now on.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Huge call leaving Gildart out IMO
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Cas have some big units out wide in the centre and wing slots (excepting Hampshire, if he plays). Maybe Wane is looking at this and feels Gelling, or Bateman can handle the defensive game better.

Although I wouldn't be surprised with the growing squad depth if he feels he needs to rest Gildart, something he's not had the luxury of doing so far this season. Having said that, without match fitness it's anyone's guess how Gelling will go ?
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:Huge call leaving Gildart out IMO
Is ollie fit CP, not carrying an injury, as it's a big call him not playing as you say.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Im with CP..oli easily deserves his place
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

cpwigan wrote:Huge call leaving Gildart out IMO
I don't think its that big if a call, both gildart & Sarginson have been poor for a month now.

Maybe he's opted for Sarginson, for a similar reason/logic you gave for gelling? Ie tighter pitch/less chance of overlap working and it that regard Sarginson is more likely to make meters etc
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Absolutely first-class decision-making by the coach. Gildart, this season, would seem to be the new Charnley, as of last season.
Wouldn't blame him if he decided to consider his options.