Shorrocks

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Shorrocks

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Notice there was a piece in Wigan today about shorrocks being a future number 7 for us

however this bit angered me a little from wane

“He’s not the biggest, so he needs to get into the gym and have a good pre-season with us,”
why are we so obsessed with bulk? you look at the finest halves in the last decade or so;

thurston
lockyer
andrew johns

none of them were big, why do they need to be?

I dont personally think its coincidence that tomkins was never injured before he 'bulked up' he used to be made of elastic. Look at burrows - hardly ever injured
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wes

Re: Shorrocks

Post by Wes »

What annoys me about that is that it infers Wane will still be here next season!

eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

He will be here next season :D
IN WANE WE TRUST
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Notice there was a piece in Wigan today about shorrocks being a future number 7 for us

“He’s not the biggest, so he needs to get into the gym and have a good pre-season with us,”
why are we so obsessed with bulk? you look at the finest halves in the last decade or so;

thurston
lockyer
andrew johns

I dont personally think its coincidence that tomkins was never injured before he 'bulked up' he used to be made of elastic. Look at burrows - hardly ever injured
All are well above Shorrocks weight, Thurston and Lockyer over a stone heavier. If you compare Shorrocks with say Williams you will see that Williams is quite a bit stronger and that's what Wigan are looking for. Watch how many times Shorrocks almost breaks the tackle but just gets tackled. Shorocks missed the whole of pre-season due to his ACL injury so this coming pre one will be very important to him.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I have really liked what I have seen from Shorrocks. He looks the part in a way that Hampshire didn't quite do, in my humble opinion. It makes sense to want him to be stronger. I thought Williams would play 7, though. Not that he is doing badly at 6. I think we will be much stronger with Williams and Shorrocks a year older, and Tommy sharing hooking duties with McIllorum. Indeed, a long break may well do Mac some good in the longer run.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

If a player is good enough he is big enough.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

No straw damn us wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Notice there was a piece in Wigan today about shorrocks being a future number 7 for us

thurston
lockyer
andrew johns

All are well above Shorrocks weight, Thurston and Lockyer over a stone heavier. If you compare Shorrocks with say Williams you will see that Williams is quite a bit stronger and that's what Wigan are looking for. Watch how many times Shorrocks almost breaks the tackle but just gets tackled. Shorocks missed the whole of pre-season due to his ACL injury so this coming pre one will be very important to him.
I wouldn't say a stone is well above - and I'm not so sure strength and weight are a quality perticularly needed for a halfback. I've no issues with trying to be stronger but I think we are obsessed with bulking up players when we would be better served letting them play a fit version of their natural weights you don't have to be big to be strong.

Look at burrow he's 2 stone less than shorrocks, makes plenty breaks and plenty tackles and hardly injured. Injuries to me always seem to come once a player "bulks"
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Lee481

Post by Lee481 »

Probably because Wane wants to utilise him more as a 9 than an out & out 7.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I have really liked what I have seen from Shorrocks. He looks the part in a way that Hampshire didn't quite do, in my humble opinion. It makes sense to want him to be stronger. I thought Williams would play 7, though. Not that he is doing badly at 6. I think we will be much stronger with Williams and Shorrocks a year older, and Tommy sharing hooking duties with McIllorum. Indeed, a long break may well do Mac some good in the longer run.
What makes you think that Tommy will play hooker? I think he will play halfback. If you watch him play for NZ Warriors you will see that he has still got it and he provides far more threat than Smith.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I will be to your greater knowledge, as I do not watch any NRL. I thught he would play 9 as he played a fair bit there in the past. Tbh if he still holds down a place in the NZ Warriors side he will do a good job with us.